close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More Big Red Drum Showing Up On NC Coast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by NCbassattack, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Saugeyefisher likes this.
  2. Jason abate

Jason abate fish finders

so you fish from shore or a boat? we are in Frisco right now with an angry ocean. we have great luck at picking the week a hurricane hits outer banks.

3. For reds, we either take a boat to the bays, or fish the surf. With Jose churning the surf it will be next to impossible to fish it. But that should improve as the storm bears north. The fishing should be good as gold after he leaves.

4. Jason abate

Jason abate fish finders

whats your favorite rig for drum in the surf?

5. Cut mullet fished on a Kahle hook. 3 or 4 oz weight. 20 pound test.
    For bays, use live mud minnows fished Carolina rig style, one ounce weight.

6. Jason abate

Jason abate fish finders

awesome. all we have caught so far are mullet with the cast net

Doboy likes this.
  7. Now that things are settling down after Harvey, we are starting to see good catches of reds & flounder. The Bull reds should be here any day now.

Saugeyefisher likes this.
  8. Glad things are getting better down there. I may be going to Topsail next weekend.

Saugeyefisher and Longhorn like this.
  9. I'm leaving c-bus in 5 days! Looking like good weather this go around,I can't wait! Last two years was to windy to fish the beach,or take my kayak anywhere fun. And the few protected bays I wanted to fish had all the water blown out of them.
    I'm staying in corrola again,but plan on heading south one day with the kayak,an hitting something for reds/trout/flounder....
    And lots of Sunrise surf fishing.

10. I'll be there from 10/1-10/7 if any one else will be down maybe meet up somewhere for lunch an talk fish in. Or maybe fish for a bit.

Two things this year I'm gonna try "different" .
    1- I'm bringing some heavy vibes and jigging spoons and gonna try to vertical jig the bridge piling s at the bridge with the public ramp that connects nags head and manteo. And the little bridge just down the road.
    2- if the surf allows. Toss around a tube jig. I figure there isn't a freshwater fish out there that won't eat a tube jig. I bet they would be a great bait to roll around and Tumbl through the surf.....

11. Doboy

Doboy HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins

Castnet & mullet?
    You just made my DAY!
    How many are you seeing? Are you in the bays or catching them in the surf?
    THANKS! for that tid-bit of info! ;>)

12. Doboy

Good Luck,,, & safe trip to ya!
    PM sent.

13. Doboy

14. My friend Joey, our resident flounder and drum expert, says mullet are the best bait for reds, but mud minnows and small pinfish will get them as well. Get some kahle hooks! Please don't use circle hooks if you are targeting drum. Too many gut hooked with those accursed things.

15. I
    I always thought circle hooks were best to prevent gut hooking fish?
    I use the circled hook because my rod is in the sand spike an the fish will hook themselves?
    School me,please?

16. Quite the opposite. The fish often swallows the hook because the "circle" prevents obstruction in the fish's throat that would cause it to reject it. They just take it on down and as they fight, the hook becomes embedded deeper in their gullet.

17. I honestly don't bottom fish or use live/cut bait a lot. So really don't know. But Ive read a lot about fishing and do a lot of research and can honestly say that is the first time I've ever herd someone say that about circle hooks.
    I have always though if your gonna be strictly c&r circle hooks where the way to go. Esp if your rod is fixed so the fish can load it up itself, hooking itself.
    Is this a big red fish thing, or a surf fishing thing?
    Im not saying your wrong. I really don't know. Have just always assumed. But always thought of it as,lol a "educated assumption". Lol.....
    I release most everything I catch surf fishing so the more I know the better....

18. Only 4 days left of work! Forecast is looking good! Got most everything packed up for the drive!
    Gotta spool a few reels an I'm ready to roll! I can't wait!!

19. I've seen it numerous times. With Kahle hooks, hit' em when they strike, no problem.
    Circles go down, hook deep, and do tremendous damage.