Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Go ahead and try it, there is no problem until you try and sell it. You can make it for your own use no problem, do some research on safety and how to, and what is consumable, there are plenty of home use stills out there, they make some good 1s that you can put over top of an electric roasting pan even. It's no different than making wine or beer at home for your own use.

reelylivinsportfishing.com

I neighbor on the left is growing pot, neighbor on the right is Making shine..... Feds/State will ignore the pot take the shine man to jail. Obvious reason is if its done wrong serious side effects from the still.... Blindness, death being the worse.

For the most part if you still for example Wine... you wont get any of the poisonous attributes. I always threw away the first 15% anyways... with anything I distilled. Easier way to concentrate your alcohol is called Freeze distilling... Downside is it takes long time. Upside, it is freaking good.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,888 Posts
First keep in mind distilling for personal consumption in any amount is against THE LAW. With that being said..... If you distill gallon of wine, You will end up with maybe a cup? With beer it will be less. So, when I had one and didnt care about going to jail, I had a 55 gallon still. Out of that I got maybe five gallons. interestingly enough, I bought my still from a IRS agent out of Cinci. LOL. Eventually sold it to some guy outside of Athens who has distillery now. For sure do it outside. Well Ventilated. Youtube has a bunch of vids on making a still as well as the process.
Just noticed your signature line Dovans.
If that happens the 1st executive order will be to make distilling legal for all that takes the mandatory, free of charge distilling courses that will be offered by the ATF. ;)

·
POLAR PHILOSOPHER
7,237 Posts
Ohio is one of the states that won’t prosecute individuals making for their own use
Your right local Ohio law enforcement won’t likely prosecute. However they will likely pass it along to the feds. And they absolutely will prosecute. The man wants its whiskey taxes.

I think maybe what you meant to say was you were distilling E85 or essential oils. Which is totally legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Not that I would know but, a glass coffee pot with coiled copper tubing in a water bath sealed with plain flour moistened with water to seal copper to coffee pot would might maybe work.

.....grampa drove a fast car during prohibition I was told.( see screen name)
Grandpa would have to had a fast car. If he was cooking in a glass coffee pot he must have been delivering shots. That’s a lot of trips to make a buck.😂

·
Registered
306 Posts
Be careful...that shlt can make you go blind and even kill you if you don't get it right...I'm sure you already know this.
I remember years ago some people tried to make it around the Cadiz area and a couple of them went blind and even one died if I remember correctly...they probably had absolutely no clue what they were doing though.
Meth cookers have taken over the trade. They get blown up.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Most anyone can run a still. If nothing else can run water. Most poison themselves with wood alcohol.
Never, never drink it if you don’t know who made it. I don’t know if still in style but college kids and yuppies were into buying skull buster and adding sweetners and flavors. Apple Pie, Berry, ect. They weren’t buying it local. Most was coming up out of Kentuc. Lucky for them they were getting ripped off with watered down product. I know of nobody getting sick from it other than headaches. Most of it I saw would barely bead before flavorings. As long as it was in Mason Jars the yuppies are happy. You still see it in the small distillers, put it in a jar and goofs will buy it. One local guy was buying grain alcohol and cutting it with water putting up in jars and selling to the yuppies. Had a good return on his
investment.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,338 Posts
Been toying with the idea of making a little moonshine for myself and friends. I see you can get a small stainless still pretty reasonable off eBay. I’ve made some wine in the past and thought I might give this a try. Anyone else tried it or got any suggestions?

lol,,, Yep.
Tell us Where-a-bouts you live? (or simply fill out some of your profile)
IF your close enough, 'someone' just might be able to FIX U UP. ;>)

Someone, is always selling old 5-gal- 20-gal SS milk jugs on Craigslist or Ebay.
Pressure cookers work too.

BTW,,, some of us just go the easier route, now.
Go to the State Store & ASK for 190,,, you'll have to sign for it. (maybe DEATH, if you drink the whole 5th! lmbo)
Some people add it to the X-mas punch or slushies,,,, with caution.
& some 'kill' a very good tasting brandy with it,, so it stays that way!
(only a true 'cooker' will understand ;>)

MERRY X-MAS!!!

·
Registered
Standard tackle, kayak, v hull John boat with 8 horse outboard
72 Posts
Check out home distiller. A keg, some adapters, and some know how will let you distill water, essential oils , or anything else that's legal. Corn fragrance is surprisingly popular.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts