Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here uses moon cycles when fishing? A buddy was telling me his college kid and buddies have been studying and went to West Branch earlier this week and boated 5 muskies on one outing.
Just curious on how dependable the moon cycles were or if it was just one of those days...
Thanks

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Just wondering if anyone on here uses moon cycles when fishing? A buddy was telling me his college kid and buddies have been studying and went to West Branch earlier this week and boated 5 muskies on one outing.
Just curious on how dependable the moon cycles were or if it was just one of those days...
Thanks
I find that it's best to fish more based on your womans cycle. There is a week every month that fishing seems much more enjoyable.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
I was watching Joe Blucher on the Outdoor Channel (I think) fishing for Muskie. He made some references to moon phases. He noted that on the the first night of the full moon, the moon rises at the exact same time that the Sun sets. They are in opposition, and he said that he couldn't imagine a better time to be on the water fishing for Muskie!

If you look at a graph of when IGFA record fish were caught, they do seem to cluster around peak times. But, maybe people cluster their fishing efforts around those times too, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Who knows?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes I was going say that in saltwater i pay attention to moon phrases because that's when the water movement is at its peak. In freshwater I pay attention to wind direction and weather patterns. But I like to think the best time to fish is when you can get out.

·
2,081 Posts
Keep in mind most IGFA records are saltwater, where the tides coincide with the moon. Tides have a huge affect on saltwater fishing.

IGFA is now the official record keeper of all fish, used to be mainly saltwater. I had to go through them for my Muskie....

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
On a realistic answer to your original query...

Yes moon cycles influence big time with exceptions of course.

Fish will feed more at night when the moon is big and bright which means they are less active during the day.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
IGFA is now the official record keeper of all fish, used to be mainly saltwater. I had to go through them for my Muskie....
I’m just saying that since most IGFA records are saltwater, the “stats” will show a strong correlation to the moon that doesn’t translate to our fishing around here.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have had great nights crappie fish on the full moon. Always three days before and after. I use spotlight on shore of green Submersible on boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts