Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Didn't see any smoke where I was. Though going home through Bozeman it seemed a bit hazy.
Streams I fished and my impression.

A certain unnamed river in the Shoshone known for cutthroat trout: great fishing. Caught so many fish and quite a lot in the 16-17" range. The bears chased me out. I want to go back, but I won't do it alone again. 4 would be a good group. If we lose one to bears that's still a 75% survival rate. Which is acceptable considering the fishing is so good.

Madison river, good fishing no matter where I fished. In the park I did great on hoppers, down below raynolds pass I rolled stonefly nymphs along the bottom which produced fish. This is tough fishing down there as the flow is so fast. But fish were plenty and eager. Two beaded stonefly nymphs we're the ticket here.

Firehole, didn't do much for me. I caught two small fish.

Gibbon, I tried three different spots. My only regret is not pissing in the river to tell it what I think of it.

Nez Perce, small steam. I didn't expect much but the number of 15" or so brownies I pulled out were impressive. And a few larger brookies.

Gallatin, this is a great stream. Period.

I figure I got one more Yellowstone fishing trip in me. I want to do the Clarks fork(Yellowstone) in the canyon. It's still my favorite river in the area and I've never fished that section because it tough on foot.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dont you just hate it when the local chase you out! lol Great job keeping those sensative fisheries off the net map and sounds liek a great trip. Thank you about the smoke.....
Yeah. I knew going in I'd see bears. This area has the highest concentration of grizz in the lower 48. They go there because food is so plentiful. There's a lot of elk in the valley and moths in higher elevations. Yes, grizzlies gorge on moths. So I knew I'd see some, but I was only there for two days, and each day I had one pop out at me. That was enough. Still, the fishing for cutties was superb. The closest one was about 30 feet and was grunting at me. These aren't the little black bears I see here in Wisconsin. Good luck. Fishing in the area is refreshing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The massive haze has moved out. The haze even blocked the sun light during the majority of the day. The wildfires are still alive and well. The Oregon wildfire called Double Creek 🔥 is causing alot of smoke. At one time it's smoke could be seen over 75% of the western part of the state.

This is yet another example of how I always point out that mother nature is incharge. I will be consintrating on fishing more of the NW rivers of Montana this trip. The Kootenai for example. Her flows are perfect and she's at 58 degrees. Yes hypothermia is a reality and as we float we will be wearing our PFDs. Please stay turned for more.

Sonder

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, the weather is gonna be rough. We will roll our shoulder into it. We are taking precautions, but you can do only so much lol. Just goes to show how much mother nature is really in charge. One day at time

41 - 60 of 117 Posts