close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mono vs Braided

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pete Moss, Nov 11, 2004.

1. I have always used braided line on my casting reels. I am sure some of you use mono. I would like to know which most people prefer and why.

2. catking

catking Banned

I use Mono because it's alot cheaper, even though I did put power pro line on a couple reels because of zebra mussels while cattin /carpin. My favorite mono by far is excaliber sliver thread, Excellent stuff...... CATKING

3. I have used "Braded Line" since spiderwire came out(About 10 years).....now use Power Pro.

There are just too many advantages to the braided over mono ( My opinion)

No stretch
    Excellent sensitivity
    Excellent strength
    Excellent abrasion resistance

And most of all.............easier to untangle a professional over run (Backlash).

4. They Both Have There +/-. Mono Works Well For Me In Clear Water,ties Easy And Im Able To Change # For Diff Types Of Fish.(heavy Line Floats, Good For Surface Fishin) Although Braided 6/14 Has The Casting Ability,low Mem.,sensitive Making It Great For Stump Fish! :)

5. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I don't use it for anything. Braided, that is. Too unfriendly for the environment and fellow fisherpeople. Ever snag that stuff? :(

6. shuvlhed1

shuvlhed1 Banned

I think the stuff is only good for deep water trolling and a few other specific applications. As soon as it gets a nick in it, it is done. and that zero stretch gets you in trouble more times than it gets you out of trouble.

7. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i use fireline for most things but i do use a vanish leader most of the time the only time i use mono is for gills and crappie or ice fishing then it is 4 lb test once you get the hang of setting the hook and how to fight the fish with the no stretch factor you wont go back.................jim

8. I haven't actually "cast" a bait casting outfit in about 15 years :eek: even though I have an assortment of level winds & casting reels. I only use them for trolling, bottom bouncing and vertical fishing nowadays and I only spool them with no-stretch lines like Fireline, lead core and even stainless steel wire. I use mono on all my spinning reels though.

9. can't use braid in sub freezing conditions.