close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Monitor powering down...

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by CoolWater, Jun 12, 2007.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

While using my computer the monitor suddenly turns off and I get that no signal detected screen.

1. Checked cables- same problem occured
    2. Switched monitors- monitor that was powering off working fine with girlfriend's PC. (what I'm using now)
    3. Connect girlfriend's monitor to my PC, power on PC and monitor just says no signal detected from the get go.
    4. Check cables - everything fine - turn on again and still her monitor doesn't detect a signal.

So I guess it has to be my box... video card? power supply?

Any ideas?...

2. If your video is not integrated on to the motherboard the first thing I would try is to remove and re-seat the video card. (with power unhooked of course). I would say you are thinking right in that it is related to the video card.

3. Not necessarily video card. I have seen that issue a ton with some models of Dell desktops. They had major issues with capacitors on their boards. Might help if we knew what your machine was or has in it for some common problems.

4. CoolWater

Specs

Full Size ATX w/5 PCI Motherboard
    Genuine Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
    1 GB Ram (DDR)
    200 GB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon graphics card (will pull out shortly to see what series, cant find paperwork on it atm)
    Windows XP-PRO

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Yeah sounds like your card is smoked.

6. CoolWater

Ok, back in business...

Pulled out graphics card and switched it with gf's, my PC working fine and has been on approx 15 minutes. Her PC - no signal when I installed my card. Happened to find an old generic card laying around - her pc working fine with it.

So of course, now to find my receipt and paperwork.... ARGH! Dang thing was expensive and not even a year old... bought at Best Buy... hmm did I online register it.... Nothing ever simple!!!

Thanks for everyone's replies - helped me keep my sanity...

7. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

Oh wow, man I feel sorry for you. My first PC (I build my own PCs now) was from Best Buy. When it broke down (still under full warrenty), I took it to Best Buy to be fixed. They had it for two months and NEVER touched it. I got pissed, went and got it and shipped it to the manufacture and got it back in two weeks. Best Buy sucks when it comes to getting things repaired. I feel for you. Good luck dealing with Best Buy. I never shop there now, not once they treated my like crap and never repaired my PC after having it for two months.

8. CoolWater

Thanks for the heads up - I built the PC, just the graphics card I had happened to get at Best Buy... so I'm hoping I can either find my receipt and exchange it in the store or if I online registered the product with AMD (who makes ATI) maybe I will need to send it to them for a replacement... either way - pain in the butt! :mad:

9. ATI makes ATI they are a chip company that specializes in the video graphics mostly. They are an excellent company and they normally back their stuff with a good guarantee. Best Buy is a poor place to take your computer to be repaired. They are slow and expensive , and from what I have seen thier " Geek Squad " leaves a lot to be desired. The squads troubleshooting is suspect at best. I should not complain too much they have chased a lot of customers to me. All in all I think Best Buys primary aim is to sell you a new computer rather than fix your old one.

10. Titanium Reel

Titanium Reel Banned

AMD owns ATI now.

11. I have an ati radeon x800 xt pe and it died then i had to send it back for a replacement twice.