close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Monday at AEP

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by limitgetter, Mar 28, 2005.

1. AEP ponds Monday 3/28: Rain rain and more rain.Our first trip to the AEP ponds.Started north of campsiteG. Followed a trail to a shallow muddy pond. Came back to the truck and went 1/4 mile north to a pulloff on the left.Followed a trail down to a pond with some stickups .Had one bite on a green tube. Went down over the hill and fished 2 more ponds.No action.....just rain.Came back up to the road and while walking to the truck it poured.Afterwards we pretty much scouted the area while it continued to rain.Saw no other fishermen. The lady at the store in Reinersville said that it had been slow. She also told us that a few big bass were caught threw the ice this past winter.Said she weighed 2 8's and a 6 lber. I got a new map at the store. Glad I did for 2 reasons. One the map has #' on the ponds,the old map that I have did not. ALSO.. I see the the heart of the AEP lands has been split by a lease to a sportsmans club! This was quite a disappointment to myself to see a large portion of these lands now off limits to the public. There are still a lot of ponds but it makes this area less attractive to me being that I have a hour 45 minute drive. I don't know how long this has been like this but if your map was as old as mine you need to get a new one.Not a good day but hey I wasn't working! I also had a tire going flat while in a Wendy's parking lot. Put in some fix a flat and then some air. I heard it coming out. Good thing I was in Cadiz at the time. A tire shop repaired it for me...holding so far. I've only got 3000 miles on my new truck! I might go again next week.I'll leave a repoprt if I do.Hopefully it will have a positive ending.

2. The land that that club has was never recreational land... Many areas are still off limits because of mining or mining permits are still active...

3. I see. My old map didn't reflect that.It showed all ponds and I guess I just assumed that it was all open for public use

4. You can pretty much go anywhere down there now as long as it does not have NEW signs on it... There are have been no security down there for over 12 years now maybe longer and as long as it is not being actively mined fishing is not a problem just hunting... No hunting when there is an active mining permit. It is a shame that they still mine that sulfer infested coal down there and they have really messed up two of my best hunting areas doing so...
    I fish down there but not hard and only for a few gills for supper now and then... The bass fishing is still pretty good but like anything not as good as years ago...

5. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Hey limitgetter, Were you bank fishing or tubing?? I can't wait to get down there. I think it's going to be a good fishing year down there.

6. We were bank fishing.I do have a 2 man bass baby boat that I'd like to take down there,but I can not get into the back areas unless one lake spills into another.It does have 2 wheels on the back but weighs about 100 pounds and fits into the back of my truck

7. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

Aep can be great but is not what it once was. Over the last 20 years down there I have seen guys walk around those ponds looking for spawning bass. I have seen coolers filled with huge bass that they took off the beds. This goes on still today at C and N and any other lake they can get around. No law against it, I just think it's taking unfair advantage of a fish that is protecting it's nest.
    I could go on about all that but before I offend any one I'll shut up. Then there are the dudes in homespun that come down in vans and work a pond for everything they can take, man they destroy a pond in a days time. But all in all I still enjoy it down there and have found a few ponds that are off the beaten path and still loaded with fish.
    Good luck down there, I'll be down there alot in April and May, don't know for sure where but I always stop at Old Mans Money(old name) on 78 to BS with Bob and have some ice cream.

8. sgofish

sgofish AEP or Bust

Old Mans' Money is changed a bit from last year.I don't think they carry as much paraphenelia as they used to. I'll bet the gas prices are still as high. We were told that they do not sell fishing licenses because it is too much trouble. Just a short ride to Reinersville. We will be there in May from the 7th to the 15th, probably around D and the covered bridge. Been there for so many years, it feels like home.

9. I may see you over there... I now camp at Wolf Run so if I am there you can use the showers

10. buckeyebasser

buckeyebasser Go Bucks!

[​IMG]

Hey limitgetter,

Sorry I didn't get a post up on Sunday, we were at AEP on saturday (3/26). We fished for about 5 hours mid-day. Caught 3 bass, this is the biggest, all caught on rat-l-traps (I haven't posted a picture yet, so hopefully this works, if not, I've added it as an attachment as well). Also threw spinnerbaits, crankbaits, soft plastics, and tubes. We were fishing out of a john boat near C and K. Water temps still pretty cold, but probably will pick up if weather holds.

Mushroomman,

I agree with you, bass shouldn't be kept from beds unless you're relying on them to feed you family. This goes for AEP as well as everywhere else. Our good bass fisheries will only remain that way if we use good fishing ethic.

Attached Files:

11. I'm itching to get back at it.I won't be off again until Monday.Hoping to get a buddy to go with me.If not I'll fish some strips closer to home.Look for that post Monday night.

12. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Nice fish and I agree about fishing bass off beds. Can't wait to get down there.

13. I was at AEP yesterday afternoon, skipped out of work early.
    I portaged my canoe about a 1/2 mile to a series of ponds, havent been to in a couple of years.
    Verry windy got blown to the shallow end where i threw a pumpkin color lizard into the wind caught a fish on second cast 10'(male), then the next cast caught "mama", close to 2 pounds ,third fish 10"(male), it felt great to get out.