Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience and or tips in getting rid of moles in the yard? I have some moles taking over my yard and it's making me furious. :mad: I bought one of those spear traps. The darn things keep setting it off yet no dead moles. I'm about ready to start doing a Caddyshack if I can't stop them with traps!

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
try sticking pieces of juicy fruit gum in the holes. I have a friend that swears by it.

·
ORIGINAL TEAM OGF
5,516 Posts
The spear mole traps work great for me.
A few tips....tamp down all mole trails with your foot, preferably in the morning.
Check for signs of reopening later that afternoon or the next morning.
Reopened tunnels are the active tunnels.
Tamp down an area of the newly opened tunnel only about 6 inches long.
This tamped area is where you want to set the trap.
It is very important when placing the trap that you set off the trap several times,or push it in by hand several times to create holes for the spears to enter.
If you dont do this, the spikes might not penetrate deep enough to kill the mole.
After the trap trips,just dig out the dead mole.
I have just about a 100% success rate with my spring trap.

·
Administrator
9,500 Posts
Peace Brothers!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've had the same thing with them sometimes setting the traps off w/o getting caught. I think I found out part of that problem. I've only missed one since.

Check the traps often and dig one up as soon as you can after it goes off. Three times when I've dug them up I found the mole alive but "squeezed" between two of the prongs and struggling to get through. I pry them out onto the grass and quickly smack them with the shovel to kill them.

Appears if the prongs miss them, with enough time they can work their way out from between the prongs, leaving an empty sprung trap.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well good news. I got one!!! Was so frustrated I went out and put a hose down the tunnel. After moving it to a third location, I finally saw some movement. Dug him out and a good smack with a shovel took care of that one. Tried a few more spots and no signs of activity. I walked on all the tunnels so I can see which ones are active next.

I've done what you suggested Lewis already but can't figure out why it's not catching them. I'm using the spear type. The only thing I can think is that I might not be setting it quite deep enough. Hopefuly the next one will work. I'll keep at it till I know they are gone!! Thanks for all the tips. Keep em coming

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found something close to those worms in the store but I'm concerned with the dog and the chance she may dig it up or consume some left-over piece.

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Never enough time......
929 Posts
Anyone here have experience and or tips in getting rid of moles in the yard? I have some moles taking over my yard and it's making me furious. :mad: I bought one of those spear traps. The darn things keep setting it off yet no dead moles. I'm about ready to start doing a Caddyshack if I can't stop them with traps!

Who says getting rid of moles can't be fun !!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Moles favorite food is Japanese beetle larva/grubs. If you kill the grubs you eventually get rid of the moles. Use a type of grubex or something on that line. Now if you have a lot of ground that will get expensive, so stick with the areas that really bother you. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My advice is to get rid of what the moles are after in the first place....grubs and other various insects. I was having problems with moles earlier in the year so I used Grub Ex on my lawn.....no more moles. Now if I could get rid of the chipmunks.....I would be happy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would be carefull who you tell about wacking that "cute little mole" in the head with a shovel!! Remeber the old lady and the deer? Bettrr yet you better look out you window and see if there are any peta people in your yard. Lol

·
Registered
680 Posts
Moles are a PIA! I religiously put the grubex down on my lawn for years and moles still come back.
Traps work but I find the moles breed faster than I could trap them.
I like the rodenator and I bet it would also take care of those pesky yellowjacket bees, too.

Now, for professional sports, we need roidenator!

Jim

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My advice is to get rid of what the moles are after in the first place....grubs and other various insects. I was having problems with moles earlier in the year so I used Grub Ex on my lawn.....no more moles. Now if I could get rid of the chipmunks.....I would be happy.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water and dump a bag of sunflower seeds in to cover the water. Take a 2x4x6 or somthing close and put one end on the top of bucket makeing a ramp.
Pick out floaters as soon as posible and enjoy...;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had the mole problem bad as well as the Micro hogs (Chipmunks) this spring.
They had dug my yard up so bad I used 2 tons of fill dirt in the tunnels.There is a product that works great on the store shelfs.
It is in a Yellow cone shape contaner and is called mole and goffer pellets.
It is easy to use and effective.
Between me with the 22 shorts, the mole pellets, and the spear trap I got about all of them.
The pellets were the most effective at removing the moles and micro hogs.It only took a couple of days to make a real difference in the moles, just keep feeding them untill there is pellets left in the tunnels. If you have pellets left in the tunnels, you have no critters left to eat them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water and dump a bag of sunflower seeds in to cover the water. Take a 2x4x6 or somthing close and put one end on the top of bucket makeing a ramp.
Pick out floaters as soon as posible and enjoy...;)
Enjoy??? Got a good recipe :D ? This is a great method for chipmunks and mice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts