Moldy Steaks

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by shroomhunter, Jan 9, 2009.

1. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I bought 2 Porterhouse steaks last night at a butcher shop and he told me they were aged. I unwrapped them tonight to grill and there is mold on the fat and bone. The meat is red with some brown patches and they don't smell rancid. Are these safe to eat? I've never had mold on my steaks that I've grilled before.

2. I would be going back to see that butcher for some money back.

3. shroomhunter

They are on the grill...will report in the morning...hopefully!

4. Trust your nose...if they smell good, you should be alright. Normally when a steak is aged, they are wrapped so that the moisture has a place to go. Doesn't sound like he did that. A little penicillin should be alright, sure beats the pizza the wife just ordered...

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

since they're on the grill,i'm a little late,LOL.but if they smell ok,they probably are.that "mold" is part of the aging process that should be trimmed off before cooking.

6. shroomhunter

Me and the dog just finished eating them, they were delicious. The dog got the bone from the porterhouse so he's really happy. I'll know in a few hours if they are going to be a problem. I ate week old sausage pizza one time back in my drinking divorced days, now that there was some bad diarrhea!! The stomach cramps were killer but it was all cleared up in a few days with the help of beer n whiskey. Thanks for the replies!

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

haha.you'll definitely knw in a short while...........been there myself and it ain't fun:eek::D

8. Thats how they age beef. A good butcher will cut all of the greenish, grey and any mold off the meat. It happens due to hanging the meat for exteneded lenghts of time in a lower temp setting. After a time the meat breaks down making it more tender, also costing more. Learned all this while working at butcher shop when I was yonger.

Ive seen guys do it with deer as well. They usually hang the meat and keep it somewhere around 34-38 degrees if i remember right.

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have seen the aged steaks on a rack at jims steak house in the flats a long time ago. and was told some are aged to 4 weeks.

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

trust your nose. if it smalls bad, it is.

11. shroomhunter

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated! Mushroomman lives on!!!! No moldy ol' steak gonna bring me down!!

Thanks for the replies, all are appreciated!

12. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i bet your smelling like you died after eatin moldy steaks.lol:p

13. Some food bourne molds carry the same chemical derivatives as Mescaline.

..................could be a good thing.

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yeah.eat enough good steaks and who knows. you could be the next picasso:D

15. shroomhunter

Man Het that buzz was awesome from the mold but Ezbite was dead on, the worst smelling gas I ever had......;)

16. A poop picasso....There's a medium for you.....how's the dog doing?

17. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

OMG laughing so hard when I read this. Reminds me of my college days. I worked at BW3s in Kent and we had a cook who chugged a 12 oz glass of hotsauce for $40. The next day, he told us it wasn't worth it.

18. them brown patches os bacteria forming. yes bacteria can form in cold temps. if meat is red in the middle its still good