Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry it took so long. Fished mogadore yesterday morning, left went back and cleaned up on the honey spot. I used minnows under a bobber and caught 10 perch, a bass fingerling, and a pike, I have'nt caught one of those from there since i was a kid. Ended up tossing back 4 perch on accounta size, but the ones i kept were good size for not being erie jumbos. I was fishing from shore. Find a bay with sandy or gravel bottom find some structure in the water and you'll gettem. The only real plus to the cold weather is the minnows lasted from friday afternoon till sun. morning. I got my $1.60 worth outta minnows from eddies bait. Met Eddie from eddies bait friday for the first time, what a HOOT. God bless the ole timers. Dave

·
getting jigging with it
625 Posts
i don't think there are any pike in mogadore i believe they are pickeral i caught one a while ago and thought it was a baby muskie...Awesome job on the perch they sure are tastie

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
There are a lot of grass pike in Mogadore. I catch a handful of them every year while bass fishing.

·
Ohio Angler
714 Posts
Stopped by the Boat House on Mogadore on Saturday and the gent in there told me that the DNR did an electro-shock two years ago right out from the dock and pulled up a small muskie and a pike. He said it was a northern pike and not a grass pike and that the DNR guys were really surprised - they didn't expect any northerns in Mogadore.

As far as the muskie goes, evidently during that same electroshocking survey on another part of the lake they pulled up a much larger muskie than the one from near the dock.

Mogadore continues to impress me with its abundance of fish species - predators and forage. The number of cormorant birds, at least one bald eagle, and flocks of seagulls and blue herons means that there is a lot of baitfish which is good for the predatory fish like bass, crappie, and (potentially) pike and muskie.

BTW...How was the ice fishing on Mogadore for those of you who got out there? Any success this year?

Great lake right in our own backyard :D

Bob

·
Yes i slept on the couch
2,245 Posts
dont forget that moggy is also home to a true dinosaur, the bowfin, which i hear has a NASTY attitude and arent afraid to use them teeth lol i wouldnt mind hookin into one of them one time :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah i've hooked into a couple of these. They are fun to catch... but not worth much of anything else. The first one I had I thought I had a good size channel on until I got it up to shore.

·
just catch 'em'
404 Posts
Speaking of bowfin at Mogadore I havent caught one in a few years or seen anybodyelse get one. The channel cat size is nice now from that stocking a few years back but I have wanted to get another bowfin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the "Thread" and been watching you all. Seems like a lot of fun and a lot of knowledge. Hope I can Fit in and please help me if I mess a few things up.

I been fishing old mogadore my whole life. Love it there. Just wish the people leaving there junk would just pick it up and take it! I got in the habit of putting a trash bag on a tree stump for the night fisherman to fill. Most of the time it just was taken.

Here's a pic of a 20" bowfin I got last summer from Mogadore on the north side.

Hope to hear from you all!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I don't fish Mogadore even though I live close my boat is too big but anyway, welcome to the site. I'm sure you will be able to trade info here. A lot of good fisherman here fish Mogadore.

·
Registered
104 Posts
He bollink! We fish Mogadore alot. You've probably seen us out there. Usually it's me with my 2 Kids (boy12, and girl 10). Anyway, I agree that people need to learn to clean up after themselves. We take a trash bag and clean up BEFORE we fish. That's a shame. I heard of your bowfin last year. After that I had to go home and see what the h___ a bowfin was! I have heard of it but couldn't picture it. That's so cool! I caught a 27.5" channel cat from there the beginning of April and my son caught a 27" channel cat the next day! The first fish of the season! I think we are going to Mosquito this weekend. Well, I'll see ya at the hole!
Debi

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe that is what tried to take a blue heron flying low a few years ago. Scared the holy bejesus outta me. Hit it tuesday evening. My perch honey hole was cleaned out but did manage a few croppie and a monster gill. If i coulda seen my float after the sun went down i'da stayed all night. The batteries in my lighted bobber were dead also. All good things must come to an end. Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts