Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just came home from the army, me and a buddy are heading out to mogadore and renting a boat. i have been reading alot about the bowfin population being huge out there has anyone been there recently and could give useful advice on what to catch them on and where at on the lake. were also targeting bass or catfish so if you have any info on those aswell in regards to this reservoir any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are many anglers here with more experience on this lake than myself
and i know nothing of bowfin. As far as bass go, I went out last
Saturday morning early on the yak and i can share this experience.

No action early for me, panfish started chewing on my plastics after 9 am.
Around 9:30 the lake looked like it came alive a bit and i got a few small bass
close to the bulrushes on the south side across from the ramp off rt43.
Ducked and went west under 43 and fished the islands there, caught a few
decent gills on bass baits (shallow) and a few bass that got a bit larger
the farther i progressed south along the shore there. (4ft or deeper)
Moved to deeper water after 11 and got two good strikes, neither
of which made it to the boat. one was a decent bass i believe but my
laziness in retying my nanofil resulted in a break again. sigh.

Headed home.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i dont know much of bowfin either. when i searched morgadore there were alot of people talking about them and they look pretty fun to catch. but it does help any reporting is good reporting!!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I seen 1 pulled out a few weeks ago while fishing on the 43 dock around the Lilly pads. Guy was using a crappie rig with night crawlers sitting on the bottom. Nothing big around 15". Can't help much as I mainly panfish mogadore.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
499 Posts
The bowfin are in Mogadore but are rare to catch from what I have read on here and what I have heard from other anglers at the lake. If you're specifically targeting bowfin, I suggest you look for and read the "Canal fulton bowfin" thread. also, welcome home and thank you for your service. Glad you made it back safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Tusc is over run with them. Used to be on of my favorite places to catfish but all we seem to catch is bowfin. I would tell you to try there.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Most of the bowfin I have caught there have been on topwater. If they miss, they will definitely strike again. Many times it is like a pike right by the boat. I used to fish Moggie hard and probably got a dozen in a 3 year time frame.

Sent from my HTC One using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
welcome home jbravo and thankyou for your service!!!!! far as the bass i use a long rubber worm it works great for me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just headed out today and have to say i was incredibly disapointed ha. was out there from 7am till about 3 pm just hanging on to hope we would catch something decent. tried a lil for bowfin had zero luck. tried for bass using a few crank baits that were unsuccessful due to the weed growth on the one side of the reservoir so switched to plastic worms also with 0 luck.. grand total of the day a few decent gills and a crappie.. a group of guys did pull a monster large mouth 23" seen the pics that the marina took of em. but thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions we literally used all of them just wasnt our day..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping you'd catch a whopper.
On a bright note, it was a nice day, you are home from the army and your fishing!

Next time perhaps!
Peace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks i was hopin too haha but this is true already plannin my next trip. im in lorain soo lookin maybe for a nice spot out this way!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where exactly is tusc at? I read on wikipedia that it runs through south Akron and Barberton...I'm in that area and was wondering where? Also what part are you talking holds the bowfins? Never caught one, wouldn't mind giving it a go!

Land Big Fish !!!!

·
Worst fisherman ever.
38 Posts
Canal fulton. Take high st off of 93 until you see a little parking lot about 3/4 mile down on the left. Good spot to head back to the river.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts