Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I just seen another report on a Ohio lake that has some clear water. I thought Mosquito Creek was the only one that fell in that category. It appears Mogadore Lake has that characteristic, and it also has some big bass! I may have to try it this fall. Anyone have some words of advice? My friend fished it for the first time. Good just in the spring, or is the fall bite decent too?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fishtalkfishingreports/mogadore-lake-oh-5-28-20-t13685.html#p90805

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is a electric only and a no-contact reservoir (which means you are not allowed to be in the water). But I fished it for the first time last week and it's a nice lake. Fish are shallow right now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a electric only and a no-contact reservoir (which means you are not allowed to be in the water). But I fished it for the first time last week and it's a nice lake. Fish are shallow right now.
That means big motor out of the water correct? I'm assuming nobody is allow to swim in there either. Sounds like it's made for fishing. Thanks for the information

·
Great cycle challenge team OHIO GAME FISHING
1,631 Posts
I have thought clarity at pymatuning has been good this year. I dont ever recall being able to see my jig 3 ft down while fishing at the bridge. I fished day before memorial day and went again Tuesday. I noticed on Tuesday lots of slimy algae has started.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
I have thought clarity at pymatuning has been good this year. I dont ever recall being able to see my jig 3 ft down while fishing at the bridge. I fished day before memorial day and went again Tuesday. I noticed on Tuesday lots of slimy algae has started.
Wingfoot is also normally clear except during an occasional algae problem. In winter(thru ice) you can see to the bottom in ~8' while in an dark shanty.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Mogadore is super clear in spring and fall. It can turn a real bad green in August. Last week the water clarity was just starting to get worse. Still pretty clear right now though.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Of course "built-in" tanks are ok! Remove portables.
I remember being out there a few years after the YMCA gave up the lease and seeing a motorboat cruising along at a pretty good pace. I was thinking, yep there goes the lake "as the trash was already starting to pile up". Then it was just some DNR guys in the boat. Came over and wanted to see jackets and licences. I jokingly asked them if they knew it was an electric only lake.

Might have been the last time i put a boat in that lake actually.

The channel cats were starting to get huge also!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lots of clear lakes in Northeast Ohio. Mogadore sometimes (usually until the pondweed breaks up, which should be happening now), Nimisila, Portage Lakes, Leesville, sometimes others. Just depends on how the aquatic community sets up for the season.

·
grip master
761 Posts
There was an unbelievable amount of trash along the 43 casway from
cars going by throw'in trash out the window. Worse Iv'e seen it.
I see someone cleaned it all up, looks great, for now.
I think it was the guys runn'in the boat house. I'll have to go in and thank them.
OR......Maybe ODNR did it.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Moggy I have sight fished it during ice season in 10-12 fow. Haven't really fished it during soft water much but planning on hitting it more this year.
Nimmy is a really clear lake. A couple years ago we had black ice and we could see the bottom in 14 fow so well you could make out the rocks and ridges in the sand. Sometimes even in the summer you can see the bottom in 10 fow and it has a lot of decent Bass.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of clear lakes in Northeast Ohio. Mogadore sometimes (usually until the pondweed breaks up, which should be happening now), Nimisila, Portage Lakes, Leesville, sometimes others. Just depends on how the aquatic community sets up for the season.

I've fished the Portage Chain a couple times. I think it was like 1 to 2 foot visibility both times I fished it. I'm thinking that may have had to do with them treating the weeds or something. Did well both times there. Good Chain of lakes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've fished the Portage Chain a couple times. I think it was like 1 to 2 foot visibility both times I fished it. I'm thinking that may have had to do with them treating the weeds or something. Did well both times there. Good Chain of lakes.
Depends on where you are at in Portage. I fished it from Turkeyfoot to East last week. Had chocolate milk in some parts of Turkeyfoot, other parts a couple feet. East had at least five feet in the clearest sections. North end of West had maybe eight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts