Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the boat out for the first time in 3 months Saturday night. Fished Mogadore from 1900 Saturday to 0600 Sunday. Fished for bass and catfish.

Water temp was 77 when I got there and 74 late at night. The water was greenish and cloudy, with fairly low visibility.

Caught 2 bass before sunset on plastic worms. Tried fishing buzzbaits and spooks after dark for bass with no strikes. There were plenty of shad and panfish splashing near the surface, so I thought topwaters should have worked.

The catfishing started off slow. The high, bright moon and glass calm water made things difficult early in the night. Even at midnight the moonlight was bright enough that I could tie a hook on the line without using my light. I could see 10-15ft diameter whorls all over the surface from schools of shad, but they'd scatter before I could get in cast net range. I finally got a good throw that came back with about 20 shad 8-12" in size. Kept 8 and tossed the rest back.

The first 5 hours after sunset I had a couple nice sized yellow bullheads (about 12") and a lot of runs that I didn't get a hookset on but no channels. Once the moon set at about 0330, things really picked up. Between 0330-0500 I got 5 channels and missed a bunch of other bites. Biggest was 27" and about 8 lbs. The others were 24", 24", 22" and 21". All the fish were fairly lightly hooked at the front of the mouth. That, combined with all the missed strikes I had, makes me think either the fish were biting short on the bait, or I was using too large of bait chunks (usually ~1.5" wide, 3" long pieces).

Either way, 1.5 hrs of good catfish action made up for the slow night. My camera stopped writing to the memory card in it midway through the trip so I only got a pic of one of the cats. Fortunately, when I got home and tried a different SD card in the camera it works, so it was just the card, not the camera that was bad.

Released all the fish (except the shad I used as bait of course)

One of the smaller channels, but it was still a good fight

I think that should be enough bait. The net was so heavy when I hauled it up I though I snagged a log

·
Registered
499 Posts
Very nice. I was out Saturday night too till about 2 am Sunday morning. It was indeed slow. I saw the swirls on top of the water as I was walking to my spot and was wondering what it was. Those are some big shad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts