close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mogadore 6-30

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JohnBoat, Jun 30, 2004.

1. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Fished from 630am to noon...11 bass, 1 pike or ?pickerel?
    The bass were very active early, caught 5 in the first 45 minutes right around 43 on a Zoom double ringer worm in junebug color, the rest of the fish were scattered around the big island and 2 came on a chrome rattletrap in 9-13 fow..nothing over 16 inches but still a fun day

2. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

There are no pike in Mogadore that I have ever seen or heard of. There is a small population of Pickerel there however. Pike have the seperated spots, pickerel have ringed spots that interconnect looking like "chainmail armor". Hence the name chain pickerel. I have caught a couple over the years there myself. There is also a remnant population of Muskies in there that may or may not have successfully reproduced on occasion in years past. It may have been a small muskie. The ODNR suspects that Mog may harbor limited Musky repro, along with West Branch. It is not proven yet though.

I will be going out there on Fri. I'd like to nail a pickerel again for a change of pace.

3. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

The picture of the mystery fish is in my photo gallery..check it out and let me know what you think..

4. That's a nice sized grass pike. There are quite a few in Mogadore, I caught one last year and a few this spring. You can differentiate them from other members of the esox family by a black tear-dropped shape marking near the eye which is easy to see in the large version of your pic. That's about as big as a grass pike gets so that one is a trophy :)

That species is pretty rare so they get confused with muskie and northerns most of the time when they are caught.

Steve

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yeah Mog has them too! I was talking about Northerns. Nice grass pike. I have never caught one. I thought for sure you might have caught a pickerel. They get fair sized. I didn't know the fish you were talking about was a little guy! But as Alter said, that is a trophy!

Good job! Neat to catch uncommon fish, isn't it!

6. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

COMMON NAMES: Grass pickerel, Grass pike, Mud pike, Little pickerel

IDENTIFICATION: Grass pickerel resemble Northern pike with the same long, tubular body. The most distinctive characteristic is a teardrop shaped spot below the eyes. The fins are very plain and there are no white or black spots or longitudinal chain-like marks on the body.
    ADULT SIZE: Adults range from 5.5 to 10 inches in length.
    Mine was at least 13in.. trophy of a lifetime :D :rolleyes:

7. Just got back from Mogadore myself (7/2/04).. Didn't catch much fish in the early morning but managed to get about 10 between two of us before 10:30am. Most were dinkers with the 2 biggest about 14 inches. My buddy had one that might have been a little bigger but the knot slipped right before he had it in the boat. They pretty much all came on different colored 4inch senkos, one on a silver bass assassin, one on a junebug gulp worm, and one on a black/red sinking minnow.

Got mostly all of them near the shore in the shade under overhanging trees. We had to have missed about 15 or so due to late hooksets on these tiny bass. Where are all the big ones at?

O yea, are there ever any bass tournaments at Mogadore?

8. JohnBoat

JohnBoat OU Bassmaster

Sounds like a typical day at Mog...a bunch of dinks, but don't give up there ARE big bass in there...as for tourneys, Mog Bait and Tackle MAY hold one in August.hes not sure yet though

9. Went back out for a couple more hours with a different friend. I went down the same shore, throwing the same senkos, and we landed about 8 more bass. This time we only got a couple dinkers with the majority being around 12-14 inches. Brought most of the keepers out from far under the trees in heavy muck. Really like these senkos.

Everyone I talk to out there looks at us like were crazy when we say were going for bass. Seems like practically everyone out on mogadore is going for bluegill. Just thought that was strange..

10. Are permits still required to fish Mogadore? I know Ladue used to require a permit but not anymore.

11. only need a permit if you launch a boat.
    Huntinbull

12. NO PERMITS NEEDED even if you launch a boat. Also, the boat stakes out there are free and I know of several vacancies.

If anyone gives you a ticket or any grief about not having a permit, get their name and phone #. I'll call them, and we'll show up w/ the TV cameras and ask them why they're harassing fishermen. You won't get a ticket.