close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mog. ice report, 20th a.m.

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by esox, Jan 20, 2005.

1. There is lots of good ice with just enough bad ice to make things iffy. There was still open water at both the rt. 43 and Congress lk. rd. causeways with many randomly scattered dark spots.
    I did see two fishers several hundred feet off of the Palm rd. ramp, (far east end of Mog). The ice in that end of the res didn't look to bad.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

esox I did see the tracks headed west out of the ramp but didn't see a sole. That was just after lunch today. I then made the trip to CLR seem someone elses test holes, measured them at 2-3".

3. Any more ice reports for Congress Lake? Trying to decide where I'm gonna go tomorrow...but more than likely it'll be CLR like I always do.:D

If anyone can report conditions from today, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

4. crooked stripe

Well esox I just there at 3:30 this afternoon and would recommend people not go to far from shore. Drilled a number of holes. 4" plus at 10' from shore and the farther you go out the thinner it gets. At about 75' out it is only 1.5" and real bouncy. There where quite a few guy that stopped and we all agreed it was realy UNSAFE.

5. Only 1 1/2 inchs? Wow. I figured if it was good enough to support those two I saw yesterday then with single digits last night we would have got more. That snow is what's messin' things up and more is on the way.

6. Asked a guy coming off Mogadore at Congress Lake Rd about thickness. He said 2 1/2 to 3 inches. I have also heard reports from folks that the ice thicknesses are varying depending where you're drilling, walking, etc. I sureley wouldn't walk over and large expanses on any main lakes. The ice is very spooky. Safe here, unsafe there. A real crapshoot. I'm going to try Mogadore off CLR in the AM, but very carefully.

BTW, Mogadore West of CLR had some open water, so be careful.

If any of you do head out, take your safety gear and DO NOT fish alone.

I guess it's just not meant to be a great season this year. Seems we get two weeks of cold and snow, then a week and a half at 60 degrees, then cold for a week or two again. Funny thing is, when it's cold,(single digits) the water isn't freezing. There's a small amount of snow on top, maybe 1/2 inch, but the lakes aren't cracking and growing ice. The only hope with this incoming snow is that the 20-30mph winds will blow the snow off, but I doubt it.

I also stopped at Long Lake. Three guys were out fishing maybe 30 yards from shore, right off teh ramp at the bait shop. Tim said teh ice was iffy, 3 inches here, 2 inches there, and the further away from shore you get, the weaker the ice. North was the same way. Someone called about OSP when I was there. They said there was only 3 inches there.

Be safe guys.

7. crooked stripe

Be carefull Big Daddy to thin for me. John