Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep reading that for throwing crankbaits a moderate action (not medium power) rod should be used. the only rod that i can find is a st. croix legend at 230 bucks. what i have been looking for for years is a decent priced moderate action, med. power 7 footer for walleyes and smallmouth. does anyone know of a rod like this? would an alternative be to go with a longer medium light. seems that most rods these days are built as a fast action.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I understand what you're saying...I do find that most spinning rods available right now are either fast or extra fast action. I think it's aimed towards the bass fisherman more than anything. Guilty, am I.

Before I began my adventures as an avid fisherman, a fishing pole was a fishing pole. $20....$200, it didn't make a difference. It was a fishing pole.

After a few years of being an avid fisherman...I realized my $20 fishing poles were actually really nice Mod med power fishing rods. Who knew?! I really do enjoy using mod med spinning rods for live bait walleye fishing down at the Ohio River but other than that, I rarely pick them up.

Finding a moderate action spinning rod will be a trial and error sort of thing...not every manufacturer will produce the same moderate action rod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess one option would be to go back to fiberglass rods. i hate to give up the lightness and the sensitivity associated with graphite though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Falcon Original Series FS-4-166 (FS-3-166 too) has a moderate action, and makes a nice crank bait rod. I would think the FS-4-17 probably has a moderate action too. The blanks used in these rods are not top shelf, but nice blanks none the less. My 3 and 4 power Falcons are stripped to be rebuilt as cranking rods.

A fiberglass cranking rod would be a great choice as well.

To find your moderate action spinning rod, just go to the tackle shop and start flexing blanks. When you lay your hand on the tip and flex the rod while holding the butt, and the flex goes about half way down the blank you have a moderate action rod.

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, joe. i have done this for years. actually broke a mojo rod awhile back doing it. the rod was defective according to the store manager...?lol. the closest i can find to what i was looking for was an ugly stick, but these are a bit heavy compared to my st. croixs. also, and probably due to this recession/depression that we are in, but it seems as though every tackle retailer in my area has cut way back on their rod inventory, including dick's and gander mountain. wish i lived closer to the rodmaker's shoppe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could be we had it before. i was hoping for some new ideas. yes, i want a moderate action for what i do. i was hoping to find something cheaper, something like a premier-priced rod probably, and i have had horrible luck with lamiglas. i will never own one of their rods again. their customer service was beyond terrible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i went back and checked. i asked a similar question back in 2009. one gentleman suggested an ugly stick and you suggested the lamiglas. i also threw this out on walleye central earlier this year. i got little in the way of a response. when i did ask this again, i was hoping something new had come along. having talked to the rodmaker's shoppe and to st. croix, it really looks like there is little out there in a price range that is affordable to me. it really isn't that important. i will stick with what i have used or go to a glass rod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mothra, thanks. worth looking at, but i can find no one who has them. on line retailers don't have it and the gander mt. and dix in this area don't either. will continue to search though. i like the price too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
see if you can find a shimano volteaus around i think they're a glass, graphite combo of some sort... they say that they are fast action but it has def got more flex than my other rods... have you checked out the eyecon series from st. croix? i don't fish for walleye so i don't know much about them... i've also been looking for a cranking rod in he baitcasting flavor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts