close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Modem help

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by rattletraprex, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Got Wave's CP going again but now he says he doesn't have a modem! He was on line with MSN and they said it was a modem problem. Trust me he knows less then me when it comes to these things so that's not saying a lot.Can't hardly believe you would have to buy a new modem when you had one before. I'm sure he's missing some thing and I haven't had time to play with it or the knowledge to figure it out. Open to suggestions here,I'm going to ask the guy who did the work if he has a clue but in the mean time thought I'd pick some brains here. I learn something new every day. Thanks. Rex

2. If it happens to be a SBC DSL modem, I have one to sell.

3. I'll keep that in mind but don't know why i would need a new one when the only thing that was done was re-formatted.

4. What was he using before? was it an external modem for DSL or Cable, or was he using the on board modem for a 56k phone line?

Check to make sure the drivers are installed for the modem since you reformatted, it may or may not have any drivers loaded ( it will still recognize it but it will fail to work) or you may not have the most recent drivers.

Are you getting an error msg? if so what.

5. He was using an external modem for DSL but went back to on board a few months a go.I was thinking it could be drivers also but don't know a lot about them. I haven't had time to check it out myself only know what he told me,I'll know more later after I look at it. Thanks

6. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

First, an on-board modem has nothing to do with DSL ;)
    Somebody will correct me surely if I'm wrong, but i have never seen an internal DSL or CABLE modem.

If there is a modem and it is not registering installed in "DEVICE MANAGER" (Right-click on MY Computer, click Properties, Click on Device Manager tab) then you have to get the correct driver and install it to Windows.

7. I'm going up there shortly and trying what you said. I know he has an internal modem and it has nothing to do with DSL. I'm pretty sure I can get him going it just takes me longer to fumble throegh these things. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks

8. I think his modem may be shot,tried every thing and the computer doesn't detect a modem.Someone else was coming to look at it tonight and he has more knowledge about these things then me but so does a 5th grader.