close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Model 12 and steel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by longbow, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Anyone out there know if I can shoot steel through a winchester model 12 3inch full choke heavy duck. I heard that the wadding in the steel loads that they make now is safe for the barrel but they might not pattern very well. Heading to W.V. tomarrow for turkey and deer. I will check for a response on friday. Thanks for the help.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

That won't be a problem. My nephew uses his model 12 for duck hunting without a problem. Steel shot is all your allowed here in Ohio. Good luck to you.

3. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

shouldn't be a problem to shoot steel out of, but since steel patterns tight to begin with the full choke would make it even tighter yet, I use a improved cyl. or a modified.

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Personally, I wouldn't shoot steel out of it because of the full choke. Steel is a lot harder than lead (of course). If you do end up shooting a LOT of steel out of it, you will most likely end up deforming the end of the barrel. I believe they refer to this as "ring bulge".

Older model 12 Winchesters are somewhat of a collectors item. I would hate to see you ruin its value.

If you are going to start waterfowl hunting, you might want to consider buying a used shotgun with interchangable chokes. Or, you can get a new Remington Express pump 12 guage for around $250. These guns are pretty much indestructible, and make great duck/goose guns. Dicks always has them on sale.

5. Hetfieldinn was correct. It will most likely swell the end of the barrel.
    You might be able to sell it and get a new pump if it is in good to fair condition.

6. catking

catking Banned

I believe it would take an excessive amount of usesage in order to deform the barrel at its end. As in skeet shooting or trap shooting every week??? As far as hunting, I think it would be fine........ CATKING

7. Bismuth and Tungsten are legal alternatives in Ohio, or anywhere else in the country, for waterfowl. More expensive, but a lot more punch. There's also Hevi-Shot, but I'm not sure it would be safe in that gun.

8. I started waterfowl hunting with my dad's model 12. When the regs changed and you had to shoot steel I retired it. I'll use it for trap sometimes, just because I wouldn't own a gun I didn't shoot. Steel shot is really hard on a full
    choke, and some of todays steel is smokin @ 1450fps. A lot faster than lead.
    With steel you need to step back on your choke anyway. Mod is the tightest I'll go. Most of of the time it's IM, more so on the larger shot.

Sliprig