Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to upgrade my electric lakes boat. It's just a little 12', think rowboat style. It is perfectly fine when fishing solo, but I'd like a little more room when fishing with a buddy, because there's not much to spare at that point!

I'm stuck between the thought of a 14' or 16', mod v or v hull. Never had a mod v hull, so I'm not sure how they compare to a v hull. Since it's never going to see Erie, I'm not worried about how it handles big waves... Basically I just want a boat strictly dedicated to being a fishing machine! Open space, and storage-- no "rowboat style" seating. I also would like it to be relatively light, since it will also be used at my buddies cottage in Ontario, and some degree of "hand-loading" may be necessary!

Not looking to spend a ton, and some of these prices on 14'ers are outrageous! So I'm toying around with the idea of a brand new Tracker 1648. For around 3 grand, its cheaper than some of the 20 year old 14' v hulls I'm seeing on CL.

So what do you guys think? 14' v hull, or the brand new tracker? Or something different?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just bought a new 14' Polar Kraft deep v in may and it was around $2800 after taxes for the boat and E-Z Loader trailer. Now that I have the boat I kind of wish that I would have spent the extra couple hundred and bought the 16' sitting next to it.

The boat with nothing in it or on it weighs in at 260 lbs if I remember correctly. Even with the floor I installed, motors, batteries ect. I can still easily load the boat by myself just by pulling the boat up the trailer with the bow line.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 260lbs isn't bad... Thats what I like about my little boat-- If I need to, I can load it by myself, even without the trailer, if I need to!

I think I'm leaning towards the Tracker 1648... All open space, welded hull, all aluminum, and I can retrofit my little boat's trailer to fit if need be. I've just never had any experience with a mod-v, so I'm kinda hesitant.

With that being said, I'm still not opposed to a used 16ft (or a WIDE 14') v hull, and am still searching CL for reasonable prices lol. Main thing is I don't want the rowboat-style bench seating in the way anymore.

Ideally I'd like to get it, and have it ready (electronics, possibly a terrova, and outboard) for my Canada trip in september... Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm still gonna try!

Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 17ft mod v, and there is no way a friend and I could carry it with the 40 hp attached. I also take it up to the Trent river in Canada, and used to haul a 17v tracker, and I saved almost 150 bucks a trip hauling the mod v. It is much lighter and easier to trailer by myself. With a modv the floor is nice and flat and wide. My last boat was a 12 ft, and its boring fishing alone, so I upgraded. I can now fish 3 very comfortably. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's the perfect boat for the section of the Trent river in Canada, and great for inland lakes. It doesn't handle big waves well at all, but then again it's not fun fishing in big waves, so I won't be out during them, especially when the wife easily gets motion sickness. ;)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I think I'm leaning towards the Tracker 1648... All open space, welded hull, all aluminum, and I can retrofit my little boat's trailer to fit if need be. I've just never had any experience with a mod-v, so I'm kinda hesitant.
Decisions decisions!
When I was looking for a boat year or so ago, I really wanted a boat that was welded. then some guy said to me..... If welded aluminum was so great, why are airplanes riveted. So I came to the conclusion, it does not matter. find a boat that says...BUY ME!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have owned an 18' Lund, a 17' Lowe mod v, and now have a 16' Lowe deep v. My brother has a 17' crestliner mod v. The Lowe mod v was a good boat, and so is the crest liner. They are ok in some chop, but you ha to go slow or it will really pound the boat. A welded boat will have a thicker hull than a riveted boat, which will add weight. You won't be able to haul a 1648 mod v very far by hand. You can put a wench on it. We use winches to go dikes in duck season. You get what you pay for, so don't go cheap on a long term investment. My brother had a tracker 16' deep v that was a lower quality boat all around. It was a wet ride in any kind of chop, it leaked, the wiring was very bad, and just about anything broke on it in the first couple of years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.