close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mixed bag at Hoover 10/7

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by seethe303, Oct 7, 2007.

1. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

met up with fellow OGF'er Columbusslim31 this afternoon to try our luck at Hoover.

bite was fairly slow, but we did end up with a few fish.

I got my first saugeye of the season, as well as Hoover saugeye, at a whopping 10-12" (didn't measure). small, but it was nice to catch an 'eye!

Columbusslim31 got a nice smallie that went at least 12" which unfortunately flopped off of the hook after being hoisted out of the water. it probably jumped four times. minutes later he got a crappie.

all fish went back!

I think there were periodic bait balls tonight, most of which were just out of casting range. that, or I would cast into the boiling water and dozens of small fish would scatter. I was hoping to get into some white bass, but to no avail.

there is always next weekend!

pics to come, the cord for my phone is missing at the moment.

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

[​IMG]

the small saugeye.

thanks Marshall. :)

3. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

No problem John. I had a great time too. Yes people. I caught my first bass yesterday. The 1/8 jig and twister tail works. My only regret is not grabbing the fish fast enough to take a pic before it hopped off the hook. Such is life. I also lost a ratl trap and a vib"e". Those rocks can be unforgiving. I learned a lot yesterday, including listening to my first thought. I wasn't going to switch to the ratl trap because of the rocks, but it looked like shad were schooling and fish were jumping out the water all around us. Naturally, I thought, "No hits on the grub, let's try the crank since it's already tied to a line." Paid for it dearly by loosing my ratl trap on the VERY FIRST CAST. Was upset, but only for a little while. It's hard to stay mad when you know there are still fish to catch. Switched to the vib"e" and lost that after a few casts. Once again, only a momentary setback. So I switched back to the grub, and got my first smallie. A little later, a small crappie. I had a great time fishing in spite of the losses however, and got to know a fellow OGF'er. All in all a pretty good evening and can't wait to do it again. Thanks again John. :)

4. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

Oh yeah, and that saugeye was actually the first time I had seen a saugeye in person. So another first.

5. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

Congrats on the catch guys!! Went out a few days ago myself and had a fair day caught my first flathead from hoover but other then that the bite was slow for this time of year. That eye is the same size like the one i caught. Maybe when the weather cools and gets stable things will heat up.:)

6. Very nice catch guys, looks like you had a good time despite the size issues. He's a cute little booger anyway!