close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

misfit's to die for waffles

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by misfit, Sep 26, 2005.

1. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

this is my personal rendition of the "waffle house" recipe,with a few minor changes.
    if you like waffle house,i gaurantee you'll like these.and they're lots cheaper

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 egg
    1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
    4 tablespoons butter flavored crisco(or 2 tablespoons each,butter and regular crisco)
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, salt and baking soda and stir to combine.
    beat the egg in another bowl and add sugar, butter, and shortening, mixing well until smooth.
    Add the milk, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.
    Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until smooth.
    spray waffle iron wiyh non-stick spray, and preheat it.
    Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the waffles are light brown.

even a little better if you chill batter overnight,and let it sit out for awhile before baking.

i make a batch or two,then freeze them.when i want a quick breakfast ,i just pull some out,and throw them in the microwave for a minute.
    toaster will make them a little crispier.

2. How many will this make?

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

it will do about 5-6 full size waffles.i make them in batches of that size and freeze what i don't eat.i just pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds or so,for future breakfasts,and they're just as good as fresh baked :)

4. Good waffles misfit :D I made two batches of them and let it sit over night,they cooked real nice. Still have six to freeze for when I want some.

My mom and dad sed they liked them. Next time I make them I will add some strawberries or blueberries,I bet that will make them even beter.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

working on a big batch now.my oldest son and his boys love waffles.he does most of the meal prep and i'm giving him a batch to make things easier on weekend mornings:)

6. i think i need to get me a waffle iron.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i need a new one myself,now.got crazy while cleaning up this morning and broke mine.not sure if it will work right or not after that beating:D
    it's a square one and i think i'll go to a round one.looks//fits better on the plate:D

8. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Going to try this soon, just got a waffle maker and have NO idea how to make the batter! Thats!

9. You won't be disappointed.

A few things I have learned while fixing this recipe.

1. Adding Blueberries/strawberries/rasberries is excellent.
    Also try crumbled Bacon!!!!!!!

2. An old school cast iron iron makes them perfect!!!!!!!
    The newer teflon esq ones do a good job, but the old cast iron is great!!!

This is a regular in my rotation.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Getting started on then right now, ill let ya know how it turns out!

11. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

well,let's hear it;)

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Oh man, you would of been soooooo ashamed. I murdered your recipie so bad when I discovered I was short on Flour. I only had about a cup left. So I just tried to do the math as I went along. As they were cooking I thought I was in business. They smelled excellant. My dog wouldn't even eat'em though!

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL.it helps to check ingredients before starting:D
    don't feel bad.i've done the same thing before:eek:
    almost did it again a few days ago when i started to make abatch of snickerdoodles.got things out and found i was short a couple main ingrdients:(
    luckily i didn't start mixing before i made the discovery.i'll be hitting krogers today to stock up on necessities:D

14. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Honestly, I was ashamed all I had to do was cut things by a 1/3... apparently I wasn't capable.

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

oh i've screwed up stuff real good more than once when i didn't pay attention.not hard to do at all,LOL.

i use the spray butter for some things.grabbed my bottle from the fridge,soaked a slice of banana bread and took a big bite:eek:
    didn't know the wife(most recent ex,LOL)had put a bottle of garlic butter in the fridge in front of mine:D