Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had almost no luck with minnow traps, although I remember using them with some success in streams. I have tried bread & cat food for bait, with no luck other than small bluegills and an occassional crawdad. I once tried pond fish food, but the small pellets just drifted up through the holes in the wire. Any suggestions?

·
Muskie Bug
307 Posts
Try oatmeal. Pour dry oatmeal in your hand, dip it in the water, and squeeze into a ball. Put that in the trap and let it sit. Suprisingly, it wont fall apart, and lasts pretty long in the trap. Sprinkle some dry oatmeal over the trap in the water, this will attract them too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've only ever caught minnows in feeder streams myself and that's been using plain white bread. They don't seem to like wheat or rye at all. I've thought about using cornflakes or oatmeal but always forget it when I'm heading out the door.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
where are you setting your trap?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trap is one of thise galvanized looking round traps and I set it off my dock where there are schools of minnows. The only real luck has been using catfish pellets that I got from Tractor Supply, but that doesn't work every time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 4x6 siene net connected to broom handles.
Much quicker once you find the holes.
Before a recent trip to mosquito I was at the creek for 20 min. and had three dozen shiners with two scoops of the net.
And you never know what a siene will tell you about a creek.
For instance I have recently found a honey hole when I was netting and pulled in a few smallmouth fry.!%

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lou: It would be hard to use a seine in this lake and the fish seem to like the native lake minnows. I do manage to catch a few minnows with a drop net.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the minnows that you want to small for a casting net?
I've thought about a casting net, but lately there are so many minnows up our cove that a dip net seems to do the job okay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts