close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minnow nets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willy, May 24, 2007.

1. willy

willy no boat

I have an umbrella net from gander and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use it. went down to the eastlake wall and did "ok" but there was so many minnows I think I should have been able to fill a five gal pal in about 10 dips (I didnt).
    the way I was trying it was to toss it out any pull it in thru the minnows fast to try to keep them in the net, right before went left an older gentleman came along with one and he tossed his in and was bringing it in real slow.
    also, has anyone used one of those cast nets? are they pretty hard to learn? seems the design behind them would work alot easier.

2. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

castnetting is like an art. some say it is hard, but i didn't think it was to hard. just make sure u get a smaller mesh size one if you are wanting to catch minnows. and also remember, whatever the size is on the box, is doubled when spread out all the way. if u need anymore tips just send a pm. good luck

3. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

what Micro_Mini_Angler said and i am pretty sure that castnets are illegeal to use in lake erie

4. willy

willy no boat

hummm i didnt know that, even for bait? I thought it was a total net size and mesh size that was regulated
    So if it says its a 6 foot cast net its actually going to be 12 in diameter?
    anyone have any tips for using an umbrella net?

5. umbrella net you drop straight down.when the minnows get over top of the net pull up.a good attractant is to toss a hand full of dry oatmeal.when the minnies rush in yank up your net.

6. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

i don't know about Lake Erie but it is legal in central Ohio, but i don't know what the rules are about what fish, and what size mesh and stuff, and yea, if it is a 6 foot diameter, it has a 12 foot radius.

7. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

thats from the odnr page ..............

8. You cant use a cast net in Lake Erie, its to supposed protect the emerald shiner business. For an umbrella style drop net, you should drop it straight down, throw some bait over it(bread, oatmeal, crushed crackers), when they come to eat the bait pull it straight up.

Jake