Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used minn Kota Power Drive that has power and turns left/right but the prop will not turn over. I took of the top and it looks like some wires were burning up. Could that be the problem? If so do you think I could try to replace them to fix the problem? Any other suggestions if not?

I’m in northeast Ohio in Lake County. Does anyone know of someone up here that works on them if I cannot fit the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now, same motor. I think the main board is bad, I tested my peddle and everything checked ok with a meter. You can buy a new board for roughly $135.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think that is a spade connection right there..... you may be lucky and just have a bad connection. I would try soldering the wires together to make sure the connection is good..... otherwise it might be time for a new board ... if you do that might want to upgrade to i-Pilot or link. Might even be able to find used boards.

Vic’s is an authorized repair center for Minn Kota motors.

·
'Super Moderator'
13,097 Posts
The heavy red and black wires coming into the head are the main power feed wires(red=positive, black=neg) coming from the battery. Where the burnt, blue insulation is at is where the battery wires coming in and run down to the motor/lower prop section of TM.
Looks to me that where they are very close together, where the blue insulation is at, that it's possible the blue insulation rubbed through letting wire end touch together causing a short. Looks like where the burnt blue insulation is at is where most heat was generated.
Dont know if under the blue insulation there is some sort of fusible link or not. If there isn't, I'd do as was earlier suggested, strip all burnt wiring/connectors out and solder wires back together eliminating the connectors. Obviously, make sure there's no power to wires prior to messing with them and make sure and insulate repaired wires very well when complete.
After repair, I'd leave top off while testing operation to watch/feel wiring to see if it gets hot.
Also, if you had the TM plugged into your boat and tried to operate it when wires burned, you may want to check your TM fuse before testing repaired wires. Most likely it's blown.
If you're lucky, circuit board wasn't affected when wires shorted.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What man164 and fastwater said sounds good to me. I would think if it were the control board that it would burn before those heavy wires.
EB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts