Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I do a lot of trolling in the summer months and troll with my outboard. For those who have I pilot trolling motors does it make trolling easier and are they worth the investment? I will primarily be using this to troll with. Have seen a lot of guys trolling with them this year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For me it would depend on how much you plan to use the New,very expensive I pilot, trolling motor. How often do you go fishing, and do you troll a lot ? They are very nice tool for you and lots of great features. Spot lock, trails . Hand held remote is very handy. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If you have have Hummingbird electronics and get the iPilot link it is definitely worth getting! If you are catching fish at a certain depth you can follow that depth contour line and always be in the strike zone. You can also lay down a track of waypoints every time you catch fish and then go back and follow the waypoints and go back over the exact spots. Or you can record your trolling tracks. If you have a productive troll you can go back and follow your tracks! If you do a lot of trolling this is the best system IMO!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I went this route two years ago. Never regretted it. Worth the investment. Makes trolling so easy. No worries when landing fish or trolling into waves. Stay on track all the time. It is expensive. With the motor and batteries and charger. Plus wiring. If you do get one. Get the biggest one you can afford. I have a 24 volt system on my 16 StarCraft duel console. If I would have a 12 I wouldn't be able to troll nearly as long. I can troll for 6+ hours. I haven't ran the batteries dead yet. Two group 31 batteries is what I have.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Could not imagine being without one. Kicker motor does most of the pushing but the I pilot maintains the speed and the course. Great tool to have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts