Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fisharder
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about heading up to wisconsin to chase some salmon up in the harbor in Milwaukee there seem to be some good fish there at the moment?
Anyone been up for the run yet?? I have not been on a salmon trip in a long time but I have been told that there are some big fish in this year class and the chances of boating a 30lb + fish are good. So let me know if anyone has been or if you have gotten any reports. THANKS:D

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Is it time already? I thought that bite heated up in October but now I can't remember. I missed a scheduled trip there last year due to work but want to get there this year for sure. Last fall the weather was real inconsistent and so was the bite. I will check with my contact over there and post what is up.

·
fisharder
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are not running but I was told the harbor is loaded up and the fish are waiting for some rain to push up the river. I wanted to fish the harbor not the run so it looks like perfect timing but not leaving till thursday evening so
so if you get any info I would like to hear about it THANKS!

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
I talked to a good friend in Milwaukee this morning and they had four fish in a couple hours on skein. He said that the bite is just beginning and they have not done much with cranks or jerk baits yet. We may head over there tomorrow. If we go I'll let you know how we did.

·
Bud n Burgers
2,542 Posts
Got back last night from Milwaukee and it was really amazing. If you want to fish this incredible bite, now is the time to head up there. It was our first trip there and all we knew was what we had read and heard. If we had been able to plan ahead we would have hired a charter for the first day, but it was too late and we only had a day and a half. Because of our inexperience at this bite we only boated a couple, a King and a Brown, but the action we witnessed around us by those familiar with the patterns was unreal. We saw boats with three or four aboard that had a fish on at almost all times, and often doubles. The jerk bait bite was off a bit, but trolling and drifting skein under floats was hot as hell. They tell us the bite will be good for the next couple weeks so if you are going you better go. I would recommend a half day charter for the first day to eliminate the learning curve and see the bait/tackle needed. The guys that know what to do are crushing them. Some were suspending skein a few feet off the bottom, in about 14' of water, under slip bobbers, and trollers were dragging spoons and cranks. Those we spoke to said they were targeting 10'-14' but the fish marks were all over the screen. The spoons were Little Cleos, KO Wobblers, and Dare Devil style, as well as traditional salmon trolling spoons, and they were trolling various plugs that could handle 2.5-3.5 mph speeds. Colors seemed to be a matter of fishermen preference as some swore by greens and oranges and others purple and blue. We plan on a trip back and will be a good bit more prepared and a whole lot more knowledgeable. Good luck to those that make the trip up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts