Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milton Report:

Just wanted to share my recent observation (Tues 7/30) that Lake Milton is really murky green and "thick" right now with visibility at around 6"-8". (even more muky than last year in my opinion)

There was also a recent minnow hatch which has schools of 1000's of minnows flashing in small pockets which are spread through-out the lake.

Next week I may try to "match the hatch" and might also use more noise in my presentations to combat the low visibility.

This weeks catch included 1 keeper eye, 1 eye lost at boat, 2 17"+ cats, a few perch and a gill. All but one cat were caught trolling cranks 2mph in 10 FOW (yes even the perch and gill hit a 3" crankbait). One cat was caught on a crawler harness while drifting.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
6" - 8" of visibility at Milton? Mind if I ask where you found water that dirty? You had to be south of the Point View ramp, or over around Miller's Landing. There is no way it was like that around the entire lake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Took the boy out for just a few hours last night. He got a 18" eye, two subs, and a 25" muskie(his first) all on the same flicker shad. Not a bump on my rods. South end 6-7 FOW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am sure the water clarity is different from one end of the lake to the other . It seemed to be about 18 inches to two feet up north of the bridges . I could see my cat fish that deep anyway . I have seen huge schools of small shad in
Milton before . Most of the time around the 76 bridge . I would have guessed many thousands , as they cover several hundred square feet of surface . I have not seen any of those big schools this year yet . I have seen pods of bait both on the surface and with my depth finder this year . . Several time there would be fish signals just off the cluster .

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My observations were all made between Pointview and 76, south being the thicker.

It was what it was.

I do not have a report for the northern stretch as I do not go near the dam area this time of year because of jerk rec boaters harassing the trollers with close wake and route obstruction. Its their lake too, so I just stay away from them.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I also have to say,, the clarity was a foot or less when I was out Tues....
Not muddy,,just gray/green murky.... the "Bite" was NOT ON!! 4pm-dark..
Was Beautiful,,other than that..TOO tired to go today,,O.T. is KICK'n my tail !! Almost DONE for this Summer,,then time for MORE fish'n !! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
Saved Fish
247 Posts
Great job on the SM there at Uncle Milty!
(With the summer slowdown, I haven't experienced much cooperation at any of the local lakes!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts