close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Milton Crappie

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ohioman76, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ohioman76

ohioman76 Avid Crappie Hunter

Fishing from the docks was prohibited from May 1 to Oct 31. I went and fished on the docks Monday night. I used my lantern and hung it over the dock in the hope that the light would attract crappies. I fished for four hours and didn't get a single hit from a Crappie. I did however catch one very small white bass. I tried all different techniques and different line depths. Can anyone tell me what I may have been doing wrong. Are the Crappies still biting. I saw a guy on the docks last year catching Crappies during the day. I bought a book at Wallmart titled Panfish. It talked alot about how Crappies are very easy to catch at night. Please help!!!!!!

2. I have no clue about fishing Milton and I have not even been out for crappie lately but the first thing that comes to mind for me is this. There is a saying that the fish can't bite if they aren't there.;) I don't know where they are in Milton right now but it sounds to me like perhaps they are not in the marina. Just because they were in there in the spring does not mean they will be there now. Crappie can be easy to catch at times. But just like other fish they can also make themselves pretty scarce at times. I would suggest trying various depths, structures, and locations until you find a pattern on them. Or maybe you can get lucky and someone here will point you to the right spots.:D

Good luck to you.

3. Milton Is The Only Lake Right Now With High Water Levels. All The Other Three Are Down 10 Ft. Below Pool. Even Mosquito For The First Time In Ten Years. This Makes For A Quick Turn Over Putting Fish Out Intill Bay Temps Are Right. High Water Levels Make For A Slow Turn Over Enabling Fish To Stay Shallower Longer.(feeding) I Like Looking On Trees Off The Crick Channel Were The Crick Meets The Bank. Also Pockets Sometimes Hold Deep Trees. Either Or, The Boat Dock Lights In The Bays Should Become Active If Water Stays Clear And Levels Drop And Stabillize. I Havent Fished Milton In 6 Yrs. Cross Over The 76 Bridge 2 Times A Week On The Way To West Branch. Can You Tell Me If You Can Fish From A Boat At Night And Were Is The Best Place To Put In? Has The Water Started To Fall? This Is Important To Me For Eye Fishing! ;)

4. ohioman76

The best place to put in is right across from the docks were people hold their boats for the summer. As for fishing at night I really don't know but I can find out for you. I fish Milton frequently and know lots of honey holes. Congratulations on that big fish you caught out of West Branch. Let me know if you ever want to fish for the Crappies. I'm a Navy recruiter so I don't have alot of time off. But for the sweet taste of some slabs I'm sure I can conjure up some time.

5. When The Water Starts To Reside Eyes Will Come Up To Feed On Anything That Kicks Of The Banks. Sometimes Around Dock Lights. With The Weather Like It Is It Makes It Tough To Fish. I Know I Could Use A Few Slabs. Its Going To Get Cold This Weekend So Night Fishing Is Out. Fish Cant See In The Fog At Night Making For A Morning Bite. See If You Cant Find Out Surface Temp And Well See What The Weather Brings! Jig

6. I think you are on the right track, just picked a night when the fish weren't in the docks. Crappie can be pretty nomadic. They will move in and out of the shallow water docks depending on a lot of variables. Weather patterns bait fish, water clarity etc. The best docks would be ones that drop off into deeper water or with deep water nearby. You can do real good one day, & they could be gone the next day. That's why they call it fishing & not catching.

7. Crappies Will Move Shallow After Bait Fish Before The Walleye. You Can Keep An Eye On The Surface At Night To See If There Is Any Action In The Bays. Shad Will Move In When Surface Temps. Are In The Mid 50"5.(jumpjacks) Crappies Get There Alittle Earlier. Lit Bays Near The Dams Seem Best. Holds The Cold Water From Summer. I Fished Mosquito This Fall Limiting Out On Eyes While Others Waded Out In The Lake. Find The Prey Find The Predator! Jig :)

8. Milton Is Just East Of West Branch On Rt 18 Or 76

9. Who Is Fishing Wed.?

10. ohioman76

What time are you planning on going? Are you gonna be on the shore or in a boat. I could go but I don't have a boat. What's the game plan for the Crappie.

11. It Doesnt Matter On A Time, Im Pretty Flexible. I Hope To Fish All Day But It All Depends On How My Wife Works. Know It Gets Pretty Cold Out There So Well Pick The Calmest Night. Tues.-wed. Like I Said Im Pretty Flexable! Could Pick You Up At The Bridge Or Meet At A Ramp.
    "anybody Else Game"
    Jig :)