Milton, Berlin?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by jay2k, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

Do these lakes get fished much in the winter? I want to try some new areas this year for walleyes instead of skeeter, which is a hour away and usually a let down. I thought years ago I heard some guys fishing berlin, but is the water too low this year to produce any productive ice? After checking the forecast my mind is shifting into ice mode!

2. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

jay2k.......if we have any kind of a ice season this year.....give WB a nod on your to try list. There.....areas like the east boat ramp (near the dam) draw icer's and there are several excellent points located in that area to do your jiggin on.... Also, the area off Rock Spring Road ( the large gravel launching ramp) draws it's share of icer's..........out near the channel and areas to the west .... It can be tough fishin, but as with how WB fishin can be.....it has such a variety of species.....you never know what's going to take your offering....Hope to run into you out there this season......if all goes well....Jon SR.

3. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

Thanks for the advice. Never iced west branch before either. Been ice fishing for 10+ years and never been to any of those reseviors. Things are going to change this year though. Last few years have been disapointing looking for eyes and panfish. Look me up this winter... I'll be in the blue fliptop shanty. lol!!

4. mrphish42

jay2k....don't know your location, but noticed that you said it was an hour to mosquito....Tell you what. I've been in contact with other guys that are icer's and we are going to get together this winter to have some fun.....catch some fish and exchange some ideas and technique's... The guys are "tmerk and icefisherman4life".....who knows, we might pickup some more along the way. Since this totally hinges on if we get ice or not( and as you know) thats not a given.....But we'll keep tabs and thru PM's, hope that we can pull this off. PS....have you ever fished Punderson?............Jon Sr.

5. leadcorebean

leadcorebean Charter Captain

if u guys wanna throw me in that list im game. im planning a trip to either wisconsin or michigan in feb. me and a few friends have been doing it for the past 4 years always a good time. jay2k one thing u have to watch with berlin and wb is the water level u might go out one day drill a hole and not have water come up. not good!! they drop the water level and u will get a void which is not safe. ive never seen that at milton but did see the channel open up one day about an hour or so after we left that spot.

6. mrphish42

leadcorebean......OK, your on it!.....also bassmastermjb is a buddy of mine and I'll try toget him to go also.....he loves to ice fish.....As you know, he owns his own bait and tackle shop( over by Lake Rockwell) and he usually has an inside tip on what and where some of the better fishing is going on at........Well, guess it's up to mother nature to supply the ice.....wait and see "time".......Jon Sr.

7. heck ya we need to take a caravan out to the lakes around that will be sweet. you can count lindyrigger in too.

8. If you guys got room for 1 more, I would love to hook up with ya!! I need to explore other lakes. I usually fish erie and nimi and thats about it.

9. mrphish42

Liquid Assets...... hey man. when it comes to ice fishing the more the merrier, over 30 years ago I first met Ray (from the Rod Makers Shoppe) while ice fishing at Punderson with my son and some other friends of mine...Back in those times there were one heck of alot more ice fishermen. On some trips there would be 50 to 75 guys fishing on a lake that size....The people that you meet and the friendships that can come from that exposure have life long lasting effects....Ice fishing has taken an up-turn with younger people and that MAKES ME HAPPY AS HELL.........God sake, I can remember counting a hundred guys ice fishing on Mogadore, on any given sat. or sun. during the season....This is fact.....not fiction....You younger guys ask your dads or granddads.....THIS IS NOT BULL....... And I would love to see it get back to those numbers "if mother nature will co-operate" and give us more that a few days or a couple of weeks..... As some of you have read.....this will be my 51st year at ice fishing and I love to go every bit as much today as I did, back when I started........IT CAN BECOME A LIFE LONG ADDICTION....Jon Sr.

10. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

I appreciate the info guys! I remember just back when I started that there were a lot more anglers on the ice. Espescially at mogadore. West of 43 always produced fish for me right at sundown. The last 3 to 4 years things have changed out there. Might be a handfull of guys on a weekend now. During the week (evenings) you might not see a footprint. Thats why I was looking for info for other lakes. Got the inland walleye bug this spring at berlin. Been going to erie the last couple of years on ice on my own with a buddy, but the fishing was terrible last year. Nimisila walleye (if there really is one in there) are impossible to catch in the winter. Looking for a decent ice season for a change, just like the rest of you guys. With the weather we have now things are lookin good!

11. ive fished mogadore about 5 times durin the past ice seasons and i give it a whole day every time and i have yet to catch a fish there. it drives me insane. but from what i hear from everyone that place is where to be. but i cant find squat. i hit nimi alot. id love to hit erie sometime. oh ya i know theres walleye in nimi. my cousin has caught alot of em in there. but ive yet to hear of anyone gettin any through the ice though. i hope the ice gets here and lasts for months that would rule.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

This winter follow the old guys from the Main St. ramp and fish the creekbed off the west side in about 20fow. Haynes Bay on the east side where everyone fishes is a dink panfish producer.

13. jay2k

jay2k Inch short

I have for years concentrated on the south end of the lake at nimi for walleyes. There are some nice dropoffs around the grass islands that I always fish. After a year (ice season) of getting skunked there, I moved around the basin a bit and got nothin'. Started fishing the points further north with nothing. I'm not talking about midday stuff either. Holes drilled WAY before sunup stuff, or fishing hard right at dusk to just after dark. Whats always ticked me off is the guys that go and panfish and catch a few here and there. I've put a lot of effort in that lake for walleye and never have been satisfied. Problably should try an actual walleye water!

14. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

im wanting to hit up punderson this year but never been there fishing,if anyone wants to meet up someday this season im willing to get out fished by anyone just send me a pm.i want to hit the smaller lakes this year casue the bigger ones aint doing to much for me.:S