Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a beautiful morning on Milton. A bit cool but I was properly prepared.

Got on the water at 7ish. As I worked my way south from Millers I found myself a nice spot to anchor. As look further south toward Pointview I see this huge fog ball rolling across the lake, the strangest yet coolest thing I have seen on Milton yet (next to the squad of C-130's that buzzed me last year).

Soon I found myself completely surrounded in a heavy cloud, barely able to see my bow.

Suddenly boom! This smallie takes my bait and runs with it. I hear him taildancing and splashing trying to shake the hook but I cannot see a thing as he fights for all its worth.

I carefully but anxiously reel him in and he gave one last leap as I tried to net him but I missed. I thought that was the end if him on my hook but I gave I one last yank and boated him.

My personal best (or close to it) 17" smallmouth bass. You can see in the pictures that I am completely wrapped in fog.

That was my only catch (missed a few sets) but the circumstances and conditions made it feel like a limit day.

What a wonderful morning on the water!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
nice fish and pics ,,I went to mosquito one crappie for 7hrs fishing.. wheres the weeds??? all the spots I check for weeds, were none.. did they poison the lake this year?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nice fish and crazy pics. It was meant to be. I had a 17" smallie break a rod of mine this year when I had to lift him in the boat.....I couldn't get to net in time. Still landed him tho. Had to be crazy fighting a smallie practically blind. Way to go!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I caught him on a shad rap in red/brown casting. Anchored in 8ft and was casting into a 12-14 ft dropoff, 100 yards south of RT18 causeway, 50 yards to the west of the bridge. There were marks all over the finder so I dropped anchor. It was about the 10th cast.

Once the fog lifted the marks went with it. I then weighed the anchor (it weighed 7 pounds lol) and trolled the rest of the morn, dragging a variety of cranks including firetiger flicker shad and green hot-n-tot. A couple takers on all (I think..being optimistic here), but couldn't set the hook

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good looking fish, and very cool looking fog bank. So you were about half way between the bridge opening and the Gazebo. Yeah that's a good area in there. What was the water temp? Any idea?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, no temp reading. My cheap Hummingbird doesn't have a temp sensor.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Great story and beautiful pics. That is a nice smallie!

The smallmouth is a noble creature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts