Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Milton from 5:30am till 11am Sunday 7-14.

First cast hit a 14"-15" small mouth but I lost him after removing the hook. I made the CLASSIC mistake of holding the fish over the water while I detached the lure. UGH! I repeated to myself all day "ALWAYS HOLD THE FISH OVER THE BOAT!..ALWAYS!"

But the disappointments kept coming.

I have gotten pretty familiar with Milton over the past couple of years but have never worked the lake after a recent flooding, especially with 1-2 foot above normal waters and the outflow at max.

With that said, from what I could tell, the fish holding patterns are ALL messed up. I could not locate my usual marks for the life of me. It was so bad that I suspected at one point that my sonar was malfunctioning. The channels were empty (usually 100's of marks in the river channels). All my flats were deserted. An occasional one here and there but no where close to what I am accustom to at Milton.

Long story short, not a single bump, bite, nothing for the rest of the morning. Once the rec boat traffic came I was done. Frustrating.

I figured things would be mixed up a bit form the high water and increased outflow, but not like that! I will be waiting for the water to return to normal before I go out to Milton again. I am sure someone was having luck (skill) if they managed to locate the fish, but it was not me.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sometimes I think on days like that, you should look for fish in the places you usually DON'T find them. I had the same thing happen to me at West Branch on friday. Only caught 1 little bass!

·
Registered
145 Posts
We fished Berlin Saturday and couldn't even catch a dink Walleye. Tried shallow and deep with multiple types of lures. The big channel catfish were smashing my crankbaits and we caught several Crappie. Later the tubers and and PWC people were out in force, so we headed to the camper and a couple cold ones. It will get better when the excess water subsides. ( I hope LOL!! )

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a friend who sent me a picture of his friends "limit out" catch of walleye from Berlin on Sat..

The guy said he was trolling north of 224. Got himself a nice basket of 5 legal eyes.

Where as I couldn't catch my own hook. Some guys just know how to do it I guess. LOL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had a very similar time Friday with the high water . Same quick fish to start and then a long dry spell . They must send out one guy to get your hopes up , than lay there in the depths an laugh . I hope thing are calmed down a little by mid week . We are going to give it another try .I'll post the result , good , bad, or indifferent.Take care out on the water .

·
Registered
827 Posts
Had the same experience at WB Sunday AM as well. Glad to see/hear I wasn't the only one. Got a 1.5# largemouth on the second cast and then blanked the rest of the morning. Hopefully this steady weather pattern, though hot, will put fish back into their normal behavior as the water continues to come down. Fishing should be pretty good by mid week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buddy was out Sunday from 7-2 and got 9 bass 6 smallies on rapala Skitter Pop and 3 on tubes near the bridge pilings 2 smallies and a 17 inch LM He wanted to fish the docks with all the sun and the water being up but there was way too much human activity around them to make them worth fishing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.