close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Milky ooze from exhaust??????

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by MAINAH, Jun 30, 2004.

1. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I have a question for you mechanics out there. I just started my outboard, it's a 1995 mercury 9.9hp. It starts up fine, seems to run good(in a trash can full of water) BUT.......there is a milky tannish color goo oozing from the exhaust. I'm hoping it's just because its been in storage for a couple of years, but I know better. So let me have the bad news. How bad is it? :confused:

2. It's just unburned oil residue coming out of the exhaust. I've got an old Mercury that I've been running double oil and the barrel looks like the spill of the Exxon Valdez.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

Figure that a bunch of the fuel/oil mixture that goes into a 2 stroke engine comes out the other end unburned. Run that engine in a barrel for a period of time and you will see that film floating on the water. Nothing to worry about.

Did you know a quart of oil can cover an acre of water? You are getting oil in a very small area in that barrel and you are seeing it. Run it on a hose in the driveway and you will get a stain on the concrete from the stuff too.

UFM82

Can't be helped on a two stroke

4. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have a johnson 9.9 and it does the same thing if i troll alot. i usually open it up wide open before docking for the day and that cleans most of it out.

5. bassman23

bassman23 Da Fishpimp

I saw the title of this thread and figured there would be some kind of funny comment from WormDrowner. Kind of dissapointed.

bassman23

6. MAINAH

MAINAH Little Member

I put the boat in the water, ran it wide open and it seemed to clear it up. This is my first boat, so I'm sure I'll have more questions later. I appreciate the assistance, OGF members rule. Sorry BASSMAN just an honest question.