Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i noticed a milky tan foam comming out of my kicker after i pull it out of the water. Its coming from a hole just above the cavitation plate and the propellar. Is this normal? I just had all my seals pressure tested and everything is fine,the mechanic said. Is my gas oil ratio too rich? Ive never noticed this before but was only using to chase down ducks and not running it for long hours like i do for trolling, Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
exhaust oil residue and water ! nothin to worry about. i have several spots on my barn floor from about every motor i ever ran in my tank, and after it stands awhile it quits dripping.

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
Rabies......
Kyle
HPT
CP

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Capt Jeff
1,710 Posts
I would retest the seals, it sounds like you got one that needs replaced.cheaper to reseal than ruin the lower unit.what your describing is not normal.sounds like a mix of gear lube and water to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you could be right johnrude but better safe than sorry,i am however going to a different mechanic this time. Something about this guy didn't sit well. Thanks everyone.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Easy enough to check the lower unit yourself... just pull the bottom plug on the lower unit and check it for water. You don't need to let but a few drops out to ensure if there is water in there. If the lube looks like new you're good to go...if it looks milky, oh well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Check e lower unit oil. If it is milky then you have water. But it is almost certainly exhaust oil. I did e very same thing this spring. Never noticed it on my black outboards but very noticeable on my white one. You are almost certainly fine.

It is ugly to look at. When I figured it out I finally realized why two strokes are bad for the environment.

·
Tom B.
3,899 Posts
I'm w/ johnrude, shortdrift, and Mad-eye. 99% sure your fine russ9054. My Merc 125 does that in the spring and fall after trolling half the night. Some Seafoam or Valvetect in the fuel will reduce the buildup.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i,ve noticed this on a couple of my outboards over the years. i always keep a check on my lower unit grease anyway. but just the oil mixed with your gas is usely the only thing it is. if you take the lower screw out and you get clean grease then your good to go. it doesnt hurt to be safe now or sorry later. if there is any water in your lower unit, water or white then you know you have water. hope this helps.
sherman

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Need to run your motor at WOT for a bit each time out (if possible) help with this issue. Slow idling around is the culprit. Used to have it running down my Merc 20 as well as the BIL's Mariner.

·
1950's Outboards Rule
1,067 Posts
you still have oil and water residue out the exhaust no matter how the motor is ran. it is a 2 stroke outboard. tilt the motor up and remove the bottom lower unit oil screw and then just crack loose the upper one if there is water it will run out if the oil looks like a mlikshake you have water in your oil.it is very easy to change the oil till you have it fixed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts