Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 mercury tower of power 90hp on my 17 whaler. Runs good, but has an intermitten stumble out of the hole...sometimes!
During last winter I replaced my rule tanks with new custom on deck tanks.
Replaced all lines from tank to engine.
Replaced primer build, twice, as I read the mercury silver band was the preffered primer bulb with the correct orientation.
Replaced the quick connect fitting with oem merc.
Replaced the fuel pun diaphragms.
Replaced the spark plugs.

Problem still exist. Its more of annoyance than anything. It usually happens either right out of the dock or halfway through boating. I will start the boat and go to holeshot but she just boggs down yet continues to run. I fool around and put it in neutral, rev it up some and after a few choice words we are underway. I would actually say I am loading up on fuel rather than a lack of fuel. At this point I either need an experienced tuner, or maybe carb rebuild time?

Also I am deciding on replacing my own water pump impeller, can anyone chime in on that process and if a rookie outboard owner can handle it? Thanks and Happy new year to all!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a 1982 mercury tower of power 90hp on my 17 whaler. Runs good, but has an intermitten stumble out of the hole...sometimes!
Replaced primer build, twice, as I read the mercury silver band was the preffered primer bulb with the correct orientation.

Problem still exist. Its more of annoyance than anything. It usually happens either right out of the dock or halfway through boating. I will start the boat and go to holeshot but she just boggs down yet continues to run. I fool around and put it in neutral, rev it up some and after a few choice words we are underway. I would actually say I am loading up on fuel rather than a lack of fuel. At this point I either need an experienced tuner, or maybe carb rebuild time?

Also I am deciding on replacing my own water pump impeller, can anyone chime in on that process and if a rookie outboard owner can handle it? Thanks and Happy new year to all!
Kinda sounds to me like a switch box issue. I believe that engine starts on part of the cylinders and then the switch box fires the remaining cylinders as you add throttle. When the box goes bad it will stay on 2 or 4 or whatever it started on. If the boat revs up without a load but will not go over about 2000 RPM with the load , then I would guess the switch box. One of the things that make it hard to find is that they do it intermittently. One time it may run perfect but the next time it will not run past 1/2 throttle.

·
'Super Moderator'
12,330 Posts
Bogging can be caused by various reasons, as you know can be hard to find and often requires a process of elimination to find them.

Have you changed fuel filter. Or water separator if it has one?

Does it have power trim?
If so, does it bogg while trimming? Have you tried hole shot without trimming?
If it Boggs while trimming and not without, could be float level set to low or a float starting to stick.

Main fuel jets may be partially gummed up.

Air box partially plugged. Insects bad for building nests in them. Can't get enough air intake.

Timing not advancing properly could be an issue as well.

Exhaust ports clogged. Especially if you do a lot of trolling or running at low idle.

Far as replacing your impeller, they aren't that hard to do. There are many vids on U-Tube that will walk ya through it with very little problem.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Call Brian at Aquatek in Lorain if you want to have a professional work on it. He will treat you right and get the motor running great.

he is probably done doing work for the winter but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did this problem start after replacing the tanks? Check if the new tank has an anti siphon valve installed in the pickup tube. Its usually a hose barb type fitting. Impeller replacement is straight forward, just watch the shift shaft orientation.

·
Registered
16 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts