Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
river rat
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was at bass pro shops last week.. saw one for $299 gonna put money aside for one for next year
any tips on using a yak never used one

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,415 Posts
I have recently been renting them from Greenacres canoe rental, and also have become interested in them. I would do some research on the web before buying one, there is a site which I did not bookmark with plenty of info on them. The main thing I got from reading about them is that there are so many different styles, that You need to decide what type of water you will be using it on, then choose the kayack. Ive been throwing around the idea of buying one, but have decided that unless You have a group of people that have vehicales to transport the boats from down stream to upstream renting one for $20 is better.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Trailbreaker my advice would be to visit one of the outfitters, they will usually let you test them. I got mine at D&D Outfitters on Sharon Rd. they will let you test them at Winton Woods. Great Miami Outfitters is another one in Miamisburg, they will let you test them in the GMR.

You will have to speak to them to set it up. Spend as long as possible in it. Mine is great at first, but after about an hour I have to get out and exercise my rear.

Those ones with the elevated seats look really comfortable.

I've been wanting to upgrade, those are some nice looking ones they have at BPS and the prices are reasonable. Jackson makes some awesome ones, but they are not inexpensive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If waiting until next year, go to one of the outdoor sports shows (January-March around Cincy, Louisville, Lexington, Indy areas) and there are vendors with various models plus a "pool" to try them in. Very persuasive way to sell for sure, but at least you get to float in one before buying. Does BPS have a pool out back to try them in? Just curious, I would think they would.

I mean, you try on shoes first before buying, right?

·
river rat
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trailbreaker my advice would be to visit one of the outfitters, they will usually let you test them. I got mine at D&D Outfitters on Sharon Rd. they will let you test them at Winton Woods. Great Miami Outfitters is another one in Miamisburg, they will let you test them in the GMR.

You will have to speak to them to set it up. Spend as long as possible in it. Mine is great at first, but after about an hour I have to get out and exercise my rear.

Those ones with the elevated seats look really comfortable.

I've been wanting to upgrade, those are some nice looking ones they have at BPS and the prices are reasonable. Jackson makes some awesome ones, but they are not inexpensive.
thanks delta for the info

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
D & D probably has the best prices around on better yaks. They are online and have a list of 'seconds' that they sell at discount. A few years back I remember a Tarpon 10 for about $600.00, stripped.

When you buy, remember you have to get the paddle, PFD at the minimum. Decent cheap paddle like a Carslile is about $50.00. Cheap PFD for about $30.00 on sale. If you start to mod it your cost will continue to rise, but that can be done over time.

·
river rat
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
not far from me i might check them out seems like people don't like daves attitude i read reviews on D&D

·
Registered
50 Posts
This year I finally purchased a fishing kayak , truly one of the best investments I have made in a while. Reaching the spots boats can't reach and smaller lakes/ ponds. I have enjoyed mine very much. I will say you want to look and sit in as many as you can! For fishing I recommend 12' flat bottom very stable . Make sure you will have enough room for all you will bring and enough room to fish. Hope you find one that you enjoy and tear them up you will love it,

·
Registered
220 Posts
not far from me i might check them out seems like people don't like daves attitude i read reviews on D&D
I've bought a couple boats from Dave. He's a nice guy, he's just a little socially awkward. He is slightly direct and doesn't seem to like wasting time. Because of this, he clashes a little with the people who are expecting to get their butt kissed like they're buying a brand new Cadillac.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another boat from him. He will answer any questions you have and make any suggestions that he has on his mind. He has a lot of knowledge. I've learned something new every time I've talked to him.

That being said, I would highly suggest you keep an eye on craigslist. I've seen phenomenal deals on there.

You can fish from any kayak. Just about anything that's 10' or 12' and stable will do. Most people prefer sit on tops, I like sit in kayaks better because I can sit a spinning rod between my legs and rest it on the top of the cockpit in front of me and eliminate the need for a rod holder. A milk crate attached to the rear deck with bungees is nice for holding your gear. You can even attach pieces of PVC to a couple of the corners to act as rod holders. In the absence of a milk crate, you can just pile your gear behind your seat. It won't be as easy to reach but it with a little practice you'll get used to it.

The most important part of any kayak is the seat. You'll be sitting in it for a long time, best to make sure it's comfortable.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Don't be in a big hurry to buy one, you can rent one for 20 bucks including transportation. Pack a lunch and spend a whole day on the river. It's a great way to learn how to paddle and how to fish the rivers at the same time.

·
HouseTackle
2,054 Posts
TB, if you decide to go with a Bass Pro kayak, let me know. I can get you 15% off gift cards through a company perk. Having just broken an Ascend paddle in half, I'd suggest you stay away from their paddles if you do go that route...

·
Registered
360 Posts
also...Dicks sporting goods has decent entry level yaks. I bought my first yak from Dicks a few years back. A 9ft sit inside for $299 and it comes with 2 flush rod holders. It gets you off the bank!

·
river rat
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TB, if you decide to go with a Bass Pro kayak, let me know. I can get you 15% off gift cards through a company perk. Having just broken an Ascend paddle in half, I'd suggest you stay away from their paddles if you do go that route...
thanks house

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
there's a million other threads like this in the kayak section, you should look there. I think you already posted this exact same thread there though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts