close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mid spring walleye fishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by KrappieKyle, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. what method seems to work the best for post spawn walleye? I am looking for some way to catch a few more fish this year I was thinking about throwing a jerk bait or lipless crank bait has anyone had success with either?

2. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

Cast shallows with hj 12-14 or big twister tails. Usually works fine for me

3. set-the-drag

4. RH1

RH1 " Quit Cryin' and Fish"

Swimbaits also in the shallow water

5. My experience, and from what I have read(I do that a Lot!), they are not going to be real "shallow"(as in "spawning" shallow). After spawning(timing this properly can be difficult!), they drop back to somewhat deeper "flats"(typically the first flat-sand, rock, or even mud bottom) where they rest(for a couple weeks), recovering from the rigors of spawning, and Put On The Feed-bag!(This Doesn't have to be very far out into the lake)! This is perhaps the "best time" of the year to locate(And Catch!) walleye and, if you're serious about catching walleye, it should not be Missed! If they were spawning in rivers/streams off a lake, they drop back into the first "flat" encountered(in the lake). At this time, moving slowly(either drifting or sloow trolling) with anything mimicking the available forage until you contact active fish, then casting to the "school". Minnows on a jig should do it, or the previously mentioned lures, plus blades, curly tails, even casting and aggressively ripping jigging Raps should be good. Also, try swim baits, and lipless cranks. The time is now(or very close), get out-and post your results on this thread!

6. What an informative post

7. set-the-drag

Personal experience my go to is a hj12 blue chrome and gold. I will generally work shoreline that as c.j said has a drop to at least 8'. I cast either almost to shore or right to the weeds and retrieve super slow. Focus around dusk. Hour before to hour after dark typically provides the most action. You'll have to put in a lot of work. Sometimes my arm gets tired so I'll troll in the same areas for a little to give the ol caster a break. Lots of fun it will be that time any day now once the weather improves ill be after them

KrappieKyle likes this.