Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a mid grade battery for my transom trolling motor. I know I need 12V deep cycle. Problemis I'm on a budget and want to get on the water soon but, also dont want to buy junk either. On a side note.. why do retailers make it so dificult to buy one? Nothing says "starter only,deep cycle,exc., nothing! No general applications, ideal usage, charge time at what amps, NOTHING! The only numbers on them (model number) usually dont relate to the BATTERY AT ALL!:mad: I would be very grateful for any help, pointer, or advice. THANKS

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Actually, about every batter I've bought DOES say what they are for, "Starter" or "Deep cycle", right on the side. Go to Walmart and get one of their deep cylce batteries. Last one I bought was $40. Works fine.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I bought two of the everstart batteries from Wally world this spring and so far so good. I bought their biggest and next size down. I have a bow mount, transom mount, Fish finder, lights, aireator for livewell and fish all morning. When I take a voltage check after the morning trips I still get readings of 12.7 volts, hardly a drop from full charge. I troll for crappies for most of all the time on the water. I found them a good value so far and the warranty seems more than fair.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sometimes you can only spend what you have. Not everyone in this world can afford the very best ! Why do so many of the members want to belittle other members because they can afford more. I just hope your life does not go into the crapper like so many other members do to loss of a job. I wish that on no one. You do the best that you can and move on. My stuff 100 times better than someone that does not own a boat and what I have is probally 100 times worse than most other members. I don't care if people think I'm cheap. I do what I can afford. Sorry the man was looking for a midgrade battery not an Optima.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm not sure "you get what you pay for" rings true for every situation. Ive always used the Wally World batteries and never had a problem out of them so they get my vote as well. I was once told the Everstart batteries are made by Interstate but I dont know if theres any truth to that or not. Regardless they are still a good battery. I also use them in my vehicle and my mower and on the quad I used to have. Never a problem.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
thsts all you need at wal china mart there 53.00 i just bought two they will have a blue or yellow wrap on them i have use them for years and if you read the top of the labbles it will tell you the amp hours and the crannking amps to,,,,hi cucumber been tied up building a boat for nother ogf, guy.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Sometimes you can only spend what you have. Not everyone in this world can afford the very best ! Why do so many of the members want to belittle other members because they can afford more. I just hope your life does not go into the crapper like so many other members do to loss of a job. I wish that on no one. You do the best that you can and move on. My stuff 100 times better than someone that does not own a boat and what I have is probally 100 times worse than most other members. I don't care if people think I'm cheap. I do what I can afford. Sorry the man was looking for a midgrade battery not an Optima.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I didn't read anything in the previous posts that warranted this response, or mentioned Optima.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I chose to go a different route. I went to the local battery dealer/repair/guru and bought a used deep-cycle server battery (that would be "Bulldog Battery" around here).

These batteries are always maintained, and replaced regularly "just in case." The amish out here use them for everything, and usually get a few years out of one.

It was only $40 with core ($55 without), and I have yet to run it down more than half way, even during a full day of fighting the wind. It also had a one-year replacement warranty by the company.

I'll never buy another type of deep cycle again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the help and advice. Sorry for starting a lil rifle, good thing were all men (no disrespct to the ladies) and can have a dispute or disagreement and stiil go have a cold one and catch some fish together! I do think that some guys get all wrapped up in having the best of the best and anything else is just inferior junk. Hey some might look down on my little boat, little motor, and little battery.. but atleast I'm on the water and off the bank Lol! Thanks All, have a good 4th!:)

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I didn't read anything in the previous posts that warranted this response, or mentioned Optima.
were the mods on this ..oh if it was me i might get another mark .theres 2 guys on here that thing there the best ...and want to bash me that dont even know me at all ..the guy that do will tell i am a great guy and would give you what ever i had ....but some guy think bad things right out of the box .that everyones out to get them..heres the facts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Go to Walmart and hunt down a deep cycle I get many years out of mine.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
were the mods on this ..oh if it was me i might get another mark .theres 2 guys on here that thing there the best ...and want to bash me that dont even know me at all ..the guy that do will tell i am a great guy and would give you what ever i had ....but some guy think bad things right out of the box .that everyones out to get them..heres the facts
sheesh...its just a discussion about batteries.

I've heard so much good stuff about Wally World batteries. I've put 2 in this spring. I've had Optimax and wasn't at all impressed.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Firstflight,we mods have better things to do than to play games.Too bad some of the members don't.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No need to get all "amped" up talking about batteries..Sorry couldn't resist.
As for buying batteries,go for the most ampere hours you can afford. I personally have an everstart from wal-mart. KEEP it charged, let it rest, then use it; repeat. I've had mine for over ten years. Optimas require special chargers, and aren't as foolproof as some think,IMO.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
On the battery issue,, & that was the real reason that this thread exists,I will state again, there is but 1, I will buy again,if I have to , and that is a C-D Technologies, gel-cell,back-up, emergency, stationary generator starting battery,deep-cycle. I got one,from a friend,,, 8 years later,its still in my boat & it was cycled out of service,after it was 3 years old,,,, its as strong as the day I put it in!!!! Last summer, I bought another one from, Mako Supply Co.they charged me $180 for it ,&shipped it UPS to my door,I have not put in the boat yet....The old one is still kicki'n,and as strong as ever.I bought the new one,because I thought the old one was dying,it wasn't,but my charger was? So buy a battery you will ultimately replace in a couple of years,for 60-120 bucks or one that will last a decade,or more????????? [email protected] POWER,740-549-1540,,,,,,,found them online...I don't have any interest in the companies,but love the batteries! ----->>>>>sonar<<<<<-----

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
morning jigger, ive got 3 walmart batterys in my boat that are old and keep a charge just fine. when the time comes to replace any of them, ill be back to wally world for the replacement. like M.Magis said, just read the battery, it'll tell you what it use is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts