Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - who else in here has bought a new computer and is having some troubles with Vista??

here's my problem.........

I just bought a laptop for work. The store I bought it from tried to sell me the Microsoft Office package for like $400. I am still trying to find someone that I can download it from.

Here's my rant: Who agrees with me that Microsoft is a monopoly??? I mean seriously........we're FORCED to use Vista now! ANY computer you buy is set up now with this Vista crap and you then have to buy the software to go along with it! I spent close to $1,000 on my laptop only to find out that it doesn't come with the software to DO ANYTHING!

Does anyone know of where I can download Microsoft Office from? Usually there are 2 "licenses" that come along with this program......and you only need 1 for your desktop. I'm open to suggestions - anything to keep from paying $400 at a store.

Thanks for your help and letting me rant a little.........I'm just sick of this Microsoft crap and the price of gas too. I'm a blue collar american that works hard and enjoys playing hard too - and now it's getting tougher and tougher to do so when you've got to worry about $$ for gas (either in the cars or boat)!!!!

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
Disable all the security pop ups and VISTA will run pretty much like XP.
Download FireFOx and use it for your browser. Took me about a week to feel my way around the popups. Now they are minimal.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No - dell is not anymore. My parents bought a new dell a month ago and took it back and bought a gateway straight from the factory - that was the last week XP was offered installed on them. Now ALL puters have VISTA. This is why this is a freakin monopoly! We're force to buy this crap! On top of all this (I got a 60 trial of micro office - that's why I need the actual program, it's getting ready to expire) all the programs are different than the old ones! Word and Excel are all different!!!

This sucks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
know of anyone who goes to say Akron U or Kent State? they can pick you up a copy of office for CHEAP or any microsoft software, student version of course. mine included the basics, Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, etc. this is the 03 version. something to look into

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, buddy I play softball with is checking.......he goes to Kent.

I don't think the student version has outlook though, I could be wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need the newest version of Office.........that's compatible with Vista?? This is where I'm in the wringer.

·
Culprit
66 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need the newest version of Office.........that's compatible with Vista?? This is where I'm in the wringer
I'm running Office 2000 on a Vista computer with no problems.I'm not sure how far back you can go in the Office product line though.

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
I would highly reccomend getting a pc from http://www.avadirect.com/. I bought one from them about a month ago with XP. they have completely customizable computers at (IMO) competitive prices. this means you won't be getting proprietary or low end parts which has happened to me with Dell in the past. not saying Dell isn't a good company, the two pcs of theirs I have bought are still kickin after 6 and 3 years respectively. I needed a high end machine for music production and avadirect ended up being the better choice.

great customer service as well. they will continue offering XP for as long as it is a usable OS.

I've heard that IE7 has some problems associated with it, so you might want to look into rolling back to IE6 or just using firefox.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
vista is very processor/gpu intensive, i would not reccomend running it just quite yet as the driver support really isnt up to par yet (especially 64bit)
Maybe for an older computer, but for current machines your statement is somewhat of an urban legend. My new laptop runs fine with it.

Office 2003 works fine w/Vista for me as well.
Student additions usually only include Outlook, Word and Excel.

I had Office XP prior to 2003. The differences are tweaks to the GUI and some other minor changes. The programs all pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
2007 Stratos 486 FS
13,614 Posts
"vista is very processor/gpu intensive"

Actually, it's more cpu efficient than XP is. It's the first MS OS that throws all video calls to the vid card processor, rather than the computer's cpu.

I just had an MS class on vista deployment, and we tested the theory by running two identical machines (hardware) one with XP, the other with Vista. Vista was much lower on resource usage, mainly the CPU.

·
Dan's Custom Boats
24 Posts
Why don't you give some version of Linux a chance you can download it free and it includes open office plus a lot of other software and works on older computers and is better than Vista in most cases. I'm using Fedora 6 on my computer and have been for almost a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts