Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies and myself have been taking a trip to Kentucky Lake the last 4 years. Next spring i would like to go north to Michigan. Does anyone have any suggestions? No great lakes. Would like a nice lake to take my 18ftr and catch some walleye and maybe some perch. Not looking for anything fancy on the cabin either. Just a basic fishing cabin on a lake preferably with dockage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm headed up to alpena Michigan at the end of the month for the second time this year. I go primarily for military training but I take my boat with me and put into thunder bay at the base. I do not fish huron. Lake winyah is great fishing for bass, walleye, pike, and muskie. It is very skinny water but much better fishing than anything I have been to around here.

·
Super Bass-O-Matic '76
345 Posts
I'm headed up to Boyne City on Lake Charlevoix (Northeast of Traverse City) later this summer. I'll have to post a report when I get back. Looks like a good place for walleye and lake trout if you have a boat.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My buddies and myself have been taking a trip to Kentucky Lake the last 4 years. Next spring i would like to go north to Michigan. Does anyone have any suggestions? No great lakes. Would like a nice lake to take my 18ftr and catch some walleye and maybe some perch. Not looking for anything fancy on the cabin either. Just a basic fishing cabin on a lake preferably with dockage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Strong suggestion - Keep going north into Canada.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a few Canada trips years ago. Looking to keep it around an 8 hour drive from Columbus.

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
walloon lake and crooked lake in the petoskey area is nice and easily fishable with lots of lakefront cabins to rent. If you like big water you also have lake mich, torch, burt and lake charlevoix in that area.

fletchers floodwaters (alpena) isnt as far north but offers decent fishing for bass/pike/panfish. there are 3-4 resorts on the lake that offer small cabins.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
In the NW lower peninsula there's also Leelanau Lake for walleyes & smallmouth. In the same area , Burt & Mullet are decent but pretty deep.
NE part of LP, I like Winyah & some of the reservoirs on the Au Sable River system, as well as Thunder Bay.
Not too far across the bridge into the UP, there's Breevort Lake and, my favorite for the entire state Munuscong Lake, a widening of the St. Mary's River that runs from the Soo down into Lake Huron. Lake George just above it is good , too and we've done very well south of Munuscong, near Raber Bay.
Tons of good water up there & finding the ones you like is half the fun !!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
In the NW lower peninsula there's also Leelanau Lake for walleyes & smallmouth. In the same area , Burt & Mullet are decent but pretty deep.
NE part of LP, I like Winyah & some of the reservoirs on the Au Sable River system, as well as Thunder Bay.
Not too far across the bridge into the UP, there's Breevort Lake and, my favorite for the entire state Munuscong Lake, a widening of the St. Mary's River that runs from the Soo down into Lake Huron. Lake George just above it is good , too and we've done very well south of Munuscong, near Raber Bay.
Tons of good water up there & finding the ones you like is half the fun !!
I would 2nd the munuscong and Raber bay areas. Have fished them a couple of times and they have good perch and walleye and pike fishing. There are some cabins to rent as well. Not fancy cabins, just nice living condition cabins. I think they are named Karen's cabins... Not sure though. Has been a while sense I have been there. And if you can hit it just right, there is the Brimley bay area. It is a bay off of Lake Superior. The most beautiful place on earth that I know of. When the fish come into the bay, it has great pike, walleye and perch fishing. Some small mouth as well. Chippawa landing has cabins to rent up there. It maybe a little more then 8 hours up though. Maybe more like 10.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ive took a yearly trip to mi since I was born and always loved the pentwater/ludington area..beautiful place..I've only really fished bass lake there hut have talked to many locals about pere Marquette an pentwater lake.. hae heard a lot of good thinks about the pere. It only about 8hrs slightly more for you north of halfway up the state on the lake mi side (both towns are on the big lake).. plus if you got some quads or want to see a beautiful sight your close to the silver lake sand dunes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What about some steelheading all rivers flowing to Lake Michigan have some unbelievable steelhead fishing but that would be April. Also Torch Lake has just recorded a new world record Musky from that huge deep lake. Just shy of 70 pounds, but the official world record now. A guy fishing for smallmouth landed it with 8 LB line after 3 hours of battle. You have to give that some consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts