Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Playin Hooky
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see posts with the name of the spoon but no one ever says if its gold hammer plate, silver hammer plate ect. Im looking to buy about 10 diffrent colors to start with just trying to figure out the hotter ones to buy. Looking back through the treads Confusion, Monkey Puke,Kevorkian,Orange Crush seem to be a few of the better one but what plated finish should I get them and other colors in? Thanks for any help

·
I AM THE VOICE OF REASON!
1,428 Posts
Copper 8 out of 10 times! Hey there's an echo in here!
They're right about Ole Pete's check out his web site olepetestackle.com. They have a deal going on where you buy about 15 spoons and you get a maxedout spoon caddy for about half price. Great spoons and caddy!
Good Luck
DC

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Copper is probably the finish to go with. But don't leave out the silver and gold. Some days the fish have a preference. Ole Pete has some awsome colors. Some are not named the same as Stingers but are the same colors.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,546 Posts
Michigan Stinger are awesome spoons, yes the paint comes off some of the silver ones but copper ones hold up good. Jr Streak have awesome spoons as well, many good brands out there, Michigan spoons flat out catch fish and every erie troller should have some, paint coming off or not I run em and keep buying em because they work.

Don't forget out Pa's Fintail. Bullshark is one of the hottest spoons I have.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
When I go out, I'm digging for gold! I caught more eyes on gold than anything else last year. I was out last week and again, gold was the ticket.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This year I've caught nothing on Dirty White Boy, which is odd. And for me, I've been doing better with silver backed spoons too, which is different from last year.

Halloween, bloody nose, monkey puke, watermelon, and orange crush (all silver) have done well for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rich, I agree with most of the reply
here with the copper with just a few exceptions ost are hammered.
the Cat/Dog and Blueberry Muffin
are smooth and are great. I try to get one silver and one copper if they are available in the same colors. Happy Hooker get silver if you get copper you mite as well buy another Kevorkian. By the way
a senior member advised at one time that if you start catching sheephead with one backing color
change to the other. These are just
my observations and what has worked for me

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have done the best with chicken wing and mass confusion. Razberry dolphin , parrott circus freak, boy girl, red october have all done well for me in western basin.By far copper backed have done the best. I haven't noticed much of a paint problem with mine.Haven't found any of the old petes around Toledo or Port Clinton. Anyone sell them down this way?

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Michigan Stinger are awesome spoons, yes the paint comes off some of the silver ones but copper ones hold up good. Jr Streak have awesome spoons as well, many good brands out there, Michigan spoons flat out catch fish and every erie troller should have some, paint coming off or not I run em and keep buying em because they work.

Don't forget out Pa's Fintail. Bullshark is one of the hottest spoons I have.
Kevin,
I agree about pa's and bullshark. that was my "go to " spoon for last couple years in western basin. "sailfish" and "tigershark" are good too.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,546 Posts
Dolphin, Anglefish, Black Molly, Blue Marlin, Swordfish, Reef Shark have been some of my best producers out of any make of spoons, but alot of days you can't keep the bullshark in the water, they love it.

Pa's are really good spoons and the paint doesn't come off, I have a bullshark that looks like it's been through a war and still catches fish.

·
Tom B.
3,921 Posts
I've only had a big problem with the finish on the regular size stingers in purple variations. They haven't caught so many more fish that it solely accounts for the damage. I agree with Honey, they still catch fish,even after losing paint. Hammered copper is a good start.
Besides, there are so many 2003 fish out there right now that it's hard to go wrong. Can't wait until they're all 10 pound plus in a few years and everybody looks like an expert on the water.:)

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,546 Posts
There making everyone look like experts now and have been for awhile. I like to subtract all the 2003 fish from the catch. See what your left with....how good are you doing now????. Somedays I only get 2-4 fish somedays I get 10 good ones, minus those fish out of your count and see where you end up. for some a big ZERO I would be willing to bet. Without those fish, lots of days struggleing to be had, that's why it's so important that we get a good spawn every few years, lots of times they are the lake and what you'll be pulling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts