close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

michigan shrooming trip

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeffmo, May 16, 2004.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

went up to northern michigan on wednesday morning for the annual shrooming trip and the results weren't what i had hoped for.
    we got our camp set up wednesday afternoon and then the rain started and didn't quit until saturday morning.along with the rain came a drop in the temps. there's nothing like having to wear sweatpants,heavy socks and a long sleeved shirt to sleep in!
    in the time that i did get out to hunt i managed about 3lbs. of mushrooms.we really couldn't figure out if they just hadn't started yet or if we were just a bit early.i'll never last through an osu football season with only 3lbs. :(
    as we were packing up camp some friends showed up and when they get back i'll get a report and may head back up next week if they have started finding them.
    i guess that's why it's called hunting instead of finding!!!!!!!!

2. was up at the end of march for the trout opener and found a few, was up again this last weekend and found a few more, locals said they never really popped up well, weather keeps getting wacko.

I'll be up next week and see how it goes.

how far north do you head?

J

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

thats to bad, I went up a few years ago and did not find any!

4. Where at did you go? I used to go up there every year, sometimes 2 or 3 trips for shrooms.

5. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

we always hunt around the vanderbilt area,it's just a little over 400 miles north.i'm gonna give it another week then i 99% sure i'm gonna head back up and give them another shot.hopefully it'll be warmer this time!

6. Not sure where Vanderbilt is. We go around Oscoda in Huron National Forrest. There is some great fishing along the Au Sable river also. Right now you should be able to get some walleye at night off the pier and there will still be some steelhead in the river.

7. heading up thursday for the weekend, fishing first shrooming second.

jeffmo,

sounds like your allmost as far up as we go, drop me a line here or my cell phone and i'll let you know how it is, will be there thursday and will know then how they're doing from friends.

J