close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Michigan Salmon Questions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tomb, Jul 16, 2007.

1. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I'm going to Fish out of Frankfort Michigan the first two weekend in August. Having never tried this before I've been doing some reading. So far I have as many questions as answers. I'm planning to purchase shades of White, Green, and Blue for Flashers and Flys. With some glowing. Should I go all Pro-chip or Bechhold? Or some of each? Are those good color choices? Can I use all Stinger Spoons in those same shades or is it necessary to buy some Silver Streaks or Yecks? All Magnum size spoons? Is 22" a good leader leangth for flasher to fly? 4' leader for dipsey to flasher? I have no downriggers so I'm restricted to dipseys. How about Flys does it matter if I go all A-tom-mik or KRW or Rapture, or is a mix necessary? How about The roto chip baitholder with Gulp Cutbait? J-Plugs? I know this is a lot of ground to cover but I want to have a good base to start learning from that will catch me a few fish. Thanks for any and all responses.

2. If you don't get help here pm BFG, he knows his chit on the salmon and is very helpful.

3. Tomb Spend a few evenings readin gon the glangler.com website. Very nice guys and very helpful. For spoons email Big Papa from the links page on the gla site. He has a website and is a smaller dealer and knows his stuff I just got some riggers and gear from him great guy to deal with, make sure to tell him Scott/Papascott told you to call. Personally I would buy about any spoons but stingers:) I like the fishlander in size1 and 2, I really like Northern King 28, yecks are good Dream weaver, MOonshine etc etc, alot of good names.
    http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/

For flashers I use e-chips and spin doctors, very popular. If you do not have any of this gear look up A-TOM-IK He has kits with flasher/ flies ready to go. I had never used anything but spoons until I spoke with Tom and told him what I knew and he hooked me up with a package deal of flies, flashers, dodgers, everything, even cut bait rigs that I seldom use. Great Guy and Great customer service!!! http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/

I would not go without riggers! On lake michigan the fishing is sometime over 100 down. If you want riggers send me a pm I have a set I could sell or trade or ????

I am not sure about mich but on Ontario the spiny fleas are so bad the braid was about unusable this weekend. We use 30lb braided wire for dipseys. Snubbers are a must and leaders about 8 ft for spoons and 6-8 for flashers.

Scott

4. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I'll be up there the week before you - will be fishing out of Manistique... you'll prolly be heading up when I'm heading back - if you want to leave your number in a PM i'd be happy to tell ya what we (hopefully) will have caught them on.

5. BlueDun

BlueDun Member

There is a tackle store in Frankfort called the Frankfort Tackle Box. It is down the street from the main "shopping district." The folks in the store might be able to help you out. If you are driving to town on 115, it will be on the right about one block or so after you get to the bottom of the huge hill at the edge of town. The bottom of the hill is also the intersection with M22, so if you are driving north from 22, then make a left and you will see it on the right. If you are driving south on M22, make a left when the road deadends at Betsy Bay, go about 2 or 3 blocks and you will see it on the left. It is in a white building. You can't miss it as it is about the only thing open in that section.

http://www.frankforttacklebox.com/

6. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Swantucky: I P.M.'d BFG.
    Papascott: Thanks for the info, I'll definately check out those fly setups. I'd love to add riggers now, but I'm not ready to spend the cash on them just yet. Why not Stingers? You didn't mention Silver Streak, I saw many recommendations for those. I already own two NK mags, maybe I'll go with those.
    Coolwater:p.M. sent.
    Bluedun: Thanks for the link.

7. Streaks are great too. I just have had too many stinger with no paint and no customer service. I have some other brands that are covered with scratches from teeth but still have all the paint. I just feel for the money anymore they are an inferior product but I do have at least one box of them and they do get used and produce but if I am buying new spoons I will look for others first.

Scott

8. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I suspected the paint might be your reason for buying others. I'm trying to avoid having too many different brands. I'll try some Northport nailers first and see how they do. Thanks for all the help, I'll be sure to post the results of our trip.