miami county mink

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by chrsvic, May 27, 2008.

1. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Fished the GMR above Troy last night, caught a nice saugeye. I was more excited about seeing a mink though. I was wading and saw it about 25 ft away from me, walking on the bank under all the honeysuckle growth. Got a real good look at it - very dark in color, hump in the back as it walked. Interesting creature.

2. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

I saw one last year about 100 yards downstream from route 41 bridge. Is that same area you were fishing when you saw it?

3. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

This was up above Eldean bridge. Ironically, thats near the pond on 25-A, where the beavers are, alot of wildlife about. I saw another mink about 4 years near a creek close to Fletcher, thats all ive seen in my life.

4. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

There's a lot more about than you see,they're all over the place! If you know what their footprints look like you'll see how abundant they are.They can be pretty fearless if cornered or hunting but are normally very secretive. My sister had one killing her 7-8 lb chickens and dragging them off. She got into a tug-of-war w/ one that would'nt let go of the bird.
    The coolest sighting in this area for me is the river otter,still a few about,TC1

5. I am a trapper and there is more wildlife around than many realize. Mink are very common, Beaver and River Otter numbers are increasing.

6. I've seen two mink in my life. One was at Cowan lake in the winter along the bank and the other came bouncing through my back yard. I went to see what it was and got the thing cornered against the house. That little guy was trying to eat me alive. It had it's back to the house and was lunging at me and making noise and showing teeth. I let that dude go. He could take his chances with the area cats and dogs. He was heading toward a resivour near my house and I'm sure he made it with that attitude. I hear they will flat wear out a muskrat. Mean little guys!

7. Saw an adult mink moving along shoreline on Caesars Creek last March. Noticed he made a detour into nearly every hole and crevice right along the bank as he moved along. Got home and after 2 mins of research learned that muskrat is a fave food of theirs ....then I understood what he was up to. Was a pretty cool sighting; theyre graceful and quick... made me stop fishing, sit still as i could and just stare

8. dip

dip dip

several years ago i was fishin at loramie after midnite, half asleep when i sensed movement in my vicinity. the only thing i fear are skunks so i cautiously tried to locate the source. when i decided the critter wasn't big enuff to be a polcate i lit it up with my headlamp and it was what i found out later to be a mink. the dude was eating shad parts that i was disposing of. rather he was spiriting the pieces away one at a time. for months every time i went back my friend welcomed shad pieces. then one nite he didn't show. i talked to the park ranger and he said my pal got run over on the nearby bridge and the park manager was having him stuffed. i don't go back to that spot anymore.

9. I might have seen that same mink by that same creek in Fletcher. By that same creek in Fletcher, on this bridge that goes over it there is a small population of broad headed skinks. Lizards are somewhat rare in Miami county.

10. Muskie Hunter

Muskie Hunter All Species Trophy Hunter

I saw my first mink ever this year as well back in April, just upstream, south of Sidney. I was not sure what it was until I googled "mink" on the internet.

Good Fishing,
    John

11. Hoghead

Hoghead FRIED FISH FEAR ME

I have lived in Miami County all my life . I have seen many broad headed SKANKS and other lizards for years-they all are my brothers girlfriends!

12. not to be ignorant but what is a mink?

13. Hoghead

Hoghead FRIED FISH FEAR ME

Cousin to the weasel -lives around water

14. TM68

TM68

last year i saw 3 minks in 1 day on LMR in b'creek they were not concerned about me at all happy to play around fallen trees on bank also see beavers very often some of them very big 50 lbs ?

15. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Yes, beavers get huge. Last year, there was a ginormous one hit on the road here by the pond on 25-a, drove by the same spot awhile later it was gone, speculate someone picked it up for the pelt.

Thanks for the info on skinks. I saw some sort of lizard scampering on a log near a creek in Shelby Cty, maybe thats what that was (memorial day also!)

What surprised me about the mink, is the thing seemed to have no fear - he was just indifferent to me being there. Cool stuff.