Ohio Game Fishing banner

Metzgers Marsh

19K views 75 replies 29 participants last post by  MichRN84 
#1 ·
Just a heads up, they have the road shut down at the cooley launch for repairs s.
Not sure how long it will be down for.

#5 ·
Heard from a friend that lives near and said the road has been washed out due to last weeks ne blows. Army corp is doing an assesment but no word on a time frame. Could be a bust for boat fishing this year.

#8 ·
Road isn't washed out but it is in incredibly rough shape. I rode my bike back to the pier and lakefront dike to fish the marsh. There are many spots on the road marked with spray paint where it needs to be repaired, not just the spot where it is collapsing from the marsh side. I went halfway down the lakefront dike and I have to say I was shocked to see how the lake has eaten away at the dike in such a short amount of time. There are boulders pulled back into the lake nearly 10 yards from what it was last summer. That dike is taking a pounding.
As for fishing, it was really weedy. Seems like it is at late summer level for weeds already. I don't think I will be riding the bike back to fish the marsh anymore. There were 3 guys fishing the marsh in yaks though. Maybe they had better luck than me.
Could be a while before they get the road taken care of.

#9 ·
Sorry, not from the area, but a couple q's about the marsh..
Is it possible full of pike? and I know about the road being closed, but the road on the south, can I get down it to launch kayaks?

Planing a trip up that way early next week and was curious about this being a destination.
hapoefully will also be able to get onto the lake.
Thanks!

#26 ·
Any update on when the road access will be open to Metzger's? I would think with duck season ramping up to all species they'd have it open, but hey ya never know.;)

#28 ·
Thanks Capt! Sorry to hear it's not going to be open until then but glad to see that they are making improvements for the duration!

#30 ·
Yeah, that's the part that is frustrating. Sometimes you think a project that should only take a few weeks ends up taking a few months (or more). Oh well, the old saying is "You can't rush city hall".o_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.