Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The walleye fishing in the Lima Metzger reservoir is horrible, if not non-existant. Recently, I have heard rumors that the ODNR seined most of the walleyes out of Metzger and transported them to the Findlay reservoir. I intend to ask a ODNR official, as soon as I see one.

Has anyone heard or know of this being true?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Wouldnt that be an unproductive waste of their time , and dont they stock the reservoirs every few years with smolts from a hatchery ? Stranger things have happened but putting all that work into netting walleye and transporting them in spite of the mortality rate of the fish just dont "seem" to make any sense.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Now that is a good one. No extra walleye in the findlay res that I have found. Just the same small ones that don't seem to grow up and not many at that.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
yonderfishin said:
Wouldnt that be an unproductive waste of their time...
yonderfishin,
Yes, it would be a silly amount of time wasted. The statement that I heard was, "We put them there, so we can take them out and do with them as we please, to manage another facility." Go figure! :confused:

You gotta remember this is the ODNR we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Several years ago, there were a lot of complaints by the campers at Indian Lake State Park, about the amount of goose crap in the camp grounds. The campers were feeding them and making the problem worse. Even so, the amount of complaints were becoming greater and greater.

So, the ODNR set up a feeding area (bait) and netted about 200 geese. The put the geese into cages and transported them to another state wildlife area...in southwest Indiana. Let's think about this for a minute.... We're talking about a bird that flys from Mexico to Canada, on a yearly basis and they transported them to a neighboring state. :confused:

That would be like me walking into your living room, drag you around to your neighbor's front porch and say, "There! That should keep you out of that house for a while." :D I'm guessing that the geese were back in Ohio, before they finished their coffee break. Nuts! :p

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
705 Posts
They did the same thing to Breslers several years ago.

Not sure where the eyes ended up, but there were truckloads of them.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
yonderfishin,
Yes, it would be a silly amount of time wasted. The statement that I heard was, "We put them there, so we can take them out and do with them as we please, to manage another facility." Go figure! :confused:

You gotta remember this is the ODNR we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Several years ago, there were a lot of complaints by the campers at Indian Lake State Park, about the amount of goose crap in the camp grounds. The campers were feeding them and making the problem worse. Even so, the amount of complaints were becoming greater and greater.

So, the ODNR set up a feeding area (bait) and netted about 200 geese. The put the geese into cages and transported them to another state wildlife area...in southwest Indiana. Let's think about this for a minute.... We're talking about a bird that flys from Mexico to Canada, on a yearly basis and they transported them to a neighboring state. :confused:

That would be like me walking into your living room, drag you around to your neighbor's front porch and say, "There! That should keep you out of that house for a while." :D I'm guessing that the geese were back in Ohio, before they finished their coffee break. Nuts! :p

Bowhunter57

Well , Im not saying they are above doing something that dumb , but think about how much work that would be. You dont net just 1 kind of fish , you get whatever is there so they would have to be sorted somehow to remove all but the species they want to move. And that dont take into consideration how much ground they would have to cover while doing this. Unless they indiscriminately electroshocked everything and only picked out the walleye from the floaters , then many of them will die regardless of how they are caught. So ultimately they would waste a lot of time and man hours at one location just so they could turn loose a bunch of dead fish at the other. I just dont see it...............but that dont mean it didnt happen. They didnt put them at Findlay though if it did.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There are some smalls in there, a rare eye, and plenty of green sunfish as well,....

An abundant fishery for sure... /rolleyes

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Can you imagine the millions, maybe billions of pounds of catfish and white bass they would have to sort through to get a couple hundred walleye? They don't have a boat big enough to take on such a monumental task. Not to mention the perch and bass. Not when they can back up a hatchery truck to Findlay and be gone in 10 minutes. Whoever told you that is a person that you shouldn't trust a word out of his mouth

·
Registered
549 Posts
The story about Findlay getting all the walleye from the Lima reservoirs has been around for a long long time. Don't think it's true because I started catching dinks a year after the original stocking and never noticed a sudden jump in size, but just a gradual increase over 3 or 4 years until we started seeing some "keepers". Besides it would be a MASSIVE netting and culling effort to take only walleyes from a reservoir and I'm sure the ODNR folk had other things to do than to make sure Findlay had walleyes to catch early on. But then again you never know....... :)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Given the amount of equipment and man power it would take to seine and sort through such a procedure, I have serious doubts of this rumor having any validity. :p

Our county fair is going on this week, so I may run into our county GW at the wildlife exibit and if I do, I'll bounce this question/rumor off of him to see get his reaction/reply.

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
667 Posts
Is it possible that they are doing an analysis of the fish population?
You hear a lot of rumors, but netting all the walleye in one lake to take to the other really takes the cake. Ha! That's a funny one.

If there are nets out there, I agree with above, it is probably for a fisheries study. Contrary to what some folks say, the fisheries guy's actually know what they are doing and do the best they can with resources they have. They do use studies and science and counts as the basis for their decisions, so highly likely that is what is going on.

The only other explanation for netting the walleyes was if they were going to kill all the trash fish in the lake and start over with a restocking. I have not heard that and given that lake is used for water supply, and tight budgets, that is highly unlikely.

One other possibility. Maybe they need a few breeder size fish to replace breeding stock in their hatcheries... although I think most of what they hatch comes from harvesting eggs in spring.

There could be several logical explanations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The roomer is not a total mith. Yes them netting them is lol . What was going on for years though was all the fish odnr were raising for the lima resivors were getting put in findlay's, and still to this day the small mouth and many other fish population reflects this.Seem like all they want to do is throw a bunch of little breeder size walleye in there to keep the good old boys happy.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The DNR may have nets in the water but that doesn't mean they are taking them out of the lakes. I do know in years past most of the Lima reservoirs were good walleye fisheries. It's been 15-20 years ago but it used to be good.

Bressler's used to hold the smallmouth record for the state at one point... again years ago.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Bowhunter57 said:
Our county fair is going on this week, so I may run into our county GW at the wildlife exibit and if I do, I'll bounce this question/rumor off of him to see get his reaction/reply.
I talked with our county GW for quite a bit of time about the populations in the reservoirs around this section of Ohio. He told me that the last time ANY fish were netted and removed, was from Bresler in 1976 and they were taken to Findlay. After this particular time it was quickly found to NOT be a good method for stocking.

The GW said that there are 5 hatcheries that the state uses and it's far easier and more cost effective to use them for restocking. The transportation, quality and accurate count of the fingerling fish are much more consistant for their records and history of each body of water.

I was glad I had a chance to talk with him about this issue, as I've heard it around for a while and it was making good sense. :)

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes thay do that i saw tham doing that in lost creek .Go and ask tham at Milan s baits thay know ODNR dose that and thay go to Findlay reservoir i saw ODNR doing this in lost creek and ask tham what thay was doing and thay said getting fish for Findlay Reservoir .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts