close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mess of Pike

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Apr 19, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Went out to Congress Lake in Hartville today (Monday), for the first time this year. We were targeting bass but couldn't keep the pike off of our cranks and spinners. I guess thats a good thing though, except when you come unprepared!

Almost all pike we have ever caught there have been unintentional, as they were today, and we have only ever had as many as 2 in one day. We have also had many lures bitten off by probable pike. Well...we boated 8 today, 4 apeice actually. There was one big problem, my large pliers were still on my other buddies boat from Sunday, and all we had were these little dinky 4-5" needle nose. All Pike were about 20' or so except 2 monsters. One of the monsters went well over 36"+ I bet. It maybe went 8,9,10,12 lbs, no idea. I wasn't grabbing it. My whole hand woulda fit in his toothened mouth. It sure was fun catching it though!!! It took 10 minutes maybe to unhook it unfortunately, but luckily was only in bottom of mouth and was returned in fine health.

Never before have I got into so many pike. We had another 3 or 4 hooked that cut off the lure. All pike were caught on either a large or small blue/chrome ratt-l-trap, firetiger Shad-Rap, or white spinners.

BTW, we only landed 3 keeper-size bass, biggest only 2 1/2 lbs. Also got into 8 crappies, about 11-12" that we kept, all other fish released. I have been having a tough bass year so far. I just can't seem to get in tune with them yet! That doesn't bode well for LaDue next Saturday.

Even though it was windy, the sheltered shorelines were obviously productive. I wasn't even going to try to fight the wind in a club boat! Today made up for the debacle that was Sunday at Mogadore (zippo!)

2. I've always wanted to fish there,but I heard it was private and that there was no way to get permission.I've only asked a couple of people in Hartville about it though,so maybe they don't really know either.

3. AndroDoug

Congress is a 200 acre private natural lake, owned by the country club. One of my best friends is the caddy master there, and on Mondays, when the club is closed, he can reserve a boat and 9.9 from the boathouse. He's allowed to take along one friend (me!). You cannot get on it unless you know somebody (member or employee, management gets the motors). We often are the only boat out there, most I have ever seen on a Monday is maybe 3 others. Super lake!!!

4. Well now I guess we can all go fishin' there :D :D :D Thanks for the invite Doug ;)

Hey, nice to hear you hooked up, next time don't forget your camera either.

5. AndroDoug

Froggy, the thing about the camera is a sore subject with me right now. In years previous, I didn't even bother with a camera, it was no big deal having a pic. Well, since I have been on GFO and OGF etc, and everyone else has all these pictures they show off, I have decided to bring my dig cam everytime out now. I had it in the morning, and took a couple pics of of some of the smaller, 18" pike we caught. Actually, those 2 pics were the first fishing pics I ever snapped.

Well, at 1 oclock, we got off the lake to go get lunch and run some errands. I did not feel comfortable leaving a $400 camera in the boat while we were gone, so I took it with me. Well we got back on the lake at 4, and then I caught that pike around 6. Guess what I forgot in the van.

I am in disbelief this has happened. I wish we would have motored in to get my cam, but the pike might have not made it. Oh well. I'll get another one. No biggie. I'm fine. I'll be OK, really...I will. No skin off my back. It's just a silly fish.

6. :D :D :D You can always borrow a pic from someone here ;) ;)

I know what you mean....it seems like every time I leave my camera at home that's when the best pics make themselves available.