close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Merry Crismas

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by boonecreek, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Looking Forward To The Clean Up At The Dam.like To Start Fishing That Part Of The River. Like To Get There Early And Get Some Fishing In.

2. Merry Christmas back at you, BC!
    The clean up is coming on, see you there!
    LMJ

3. stumbo

stumbo Get Bent

Question for LittleMiamiJeff or anyone that wants to reply. Currently using 11ft rod Tica and a Diawa - using Emblem Pro spinning reel. I am wanting to go to a 12ft rod. I normally only throw 3 to 4 oz. Didn't want something extremely stiff but something that has some backbone too. What do you suggest and what oz/line rating do you recommend?

4. I'm not sure Steve, but I think Jeff uses a 12 ' Ugly Stick. Anything going on at the dam??

5. Hey Stumbo, I use an "ugly stick" 12', and a Bass Pro 12' Ocean Master, MH, it is good from 3-6oz, BP sells a 12' with 6-12oz capacity, a little heavy I think, and I loaded both reels w/20# Power Pro. I have a Diawa Emcast Plus on the BP stick, Shimano Baitrunner on the Ugly Stick, which is not really a surf casting reel so much as it is a live bait reel, but it works in a pinch.

I've just re-loaded the Diawa with 30# Power Pro, and haven't cast it yet, will lose a little distance, maybe, smaller diameter = longer cast, and more yardage on the reel spool.

I haven't used the 11', so don't know if you'll have any real advantage, casting technique plays as big or better role as rod length.
    I'm still learning how to really get any distance, I can cast maybe 250 feet +/-, I think there's a lot more distance to be had from what I use, just need some coaching.
    Hope this helps some!
    Happy New Year to you all!
    LMJ

6. stumbo

stumbo Get Bent

Hey Little Miami, Thanks for the info! I have been using the 30 lbs Power Pro and seems to work well. Haven't had the confidence to go with 20 yet.
    I'll look at Bass Pro and also see what BP has the next time I'm down before buying another rod. /// Daveo76 knows who I am. I hope you and I can meet sometime either at Meldyle or Greenup. Maybe we already have. I'll try to get Dave and Sluggo Jim down to ---Meldyle (always spell it wrong) this spring. Sluggo and Dave came down last year. I made several trips. I saw your cleanup schedule for Saturday. I have been sick through Christmas and may not be able to come but would like to. This type of stuff is what makes the difference between fishermen. To answer Dave's question regarding Greenup I haven't been down at all. Waters up but have been sick also. I hope everyone had a Very Merry "Christ"mas this year! Hope to meet you soon. Thanks again for your input!

7. LMJ; is 250+ ft enought to reach the 3rd gate pool stage.

8. Stumbo, I've been out to Greenup a few times last year, may have met you, are you the guy that helped get the fishing walk installed at Greenup?

BC, each gate is 100 foot wide, with 14 foot wallls between, if I read the Corp. site correctly. Thats 228 feet for two gates walls, PLUS whatever distance it is from bank to first wall, which changes with the water depth.
    I'd think 275 to 300 feet is the goal for a cast actually past the 2nd wall into the 3rd gate flow.
    LMJ

9. Jeff, I don't know if he had anything to do with the walk, but here's Steve with a November Hybrid.

Attached Files:

10. stumbo

stumbo Get Bent

LMJ --- I wish I could say that I had something to do with the walk but I can't take the credit. However I sure am glad that someone (and don't know the name)whom sold or donated the land for the dam and I believe in the contract for keeping fishermen access did. For some reason there always rumors in the air that the Corp or Locks don't want fishermen there.
    I'm sure someone can give us the scoop on that. Dave,,,,thanks for the picture! Have you seen Sluggo lately?

11. Thanks Steve, I've seen you there I think, I met the guy the first time I fished there at Greenup last spring, he was right up on the wall, the water was just below the highest railing, and he told me he had fought the Corp in court to include the fishing access and rights. I want to say his name is Bob or something, can't remember.
    Yeah, I'm glad there is fishing there too, those hybrids are my favorite!
    LMJ