close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Merging Database to Labels with Microsoft Excel?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by tpet96, Jan 19, 2005.

1. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Can you merge database information in Excel to a lable print database? I guess what I'm asking is does Excel have a label database set up? Thanks.

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I don't think Excel does labels, but you can pull excel data into Word and do a mail merge from there.

3. Shake is right. You will probably need to use word to format your mailing labels and then assign the merge data (Excel spreadsheet) to it.

I don't know if you have Microsoft Access or not but that is what I use for mail merges. It is pretty easy to create the merges from a wizard there as well and you can easily create an address table from the wizard. I prefer this method because everything is contained in the database and you don't have to mess with Excel at all.

I hope this helps.

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

How would I do that through A ccess? I have it....never played around with it at all. Sorry for the inconvenience. Is there a way to transfer the data from Excel to Access as well?

5. The answer to can you import into Access is yes. Here it is in a nutshell. I may leave out some steps along the way here but hopefully it will make sense as you start into it.

Access is broken up into various categories (tables, queries, forms, reports, etc.). The data will reside in a table which is essentially like a spreadheet layout. You will need to click on the "Tables" tab and then do a File/Import and change the file type to Excel. Then you should be able to locate your Excel document and select it. Next you will have some steps to identify the columns to bring in. Once you have selected all of the columns you can click next to create a table. Once the table has been created the data is actually in the Access database. At this point you can modify the table in any way that you want via the edit option. If you open the table you can maintain the data. If things do not go exactly like you want on the import, you can do it again and delete the prior tables. Once you have the table in an acceptable format, you can go to the report tab and click "New". Then select the label wizard and the table you want. From there I believe it becomes an editing task to layout exactly what fields you want on the label.

Good luck!