close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mercury Motor Recall 8.0 & 9.9

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Reel Lady, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Just the heads up that there has been a recall for Mercury/Mariner recall for 8.0 hp and 9.9 hp FourStroke outboard motors.
    I'm not sure what model years are affected by this recall. I know we have a 2005 9.9, and received this letter informing us of the recall.
    There are 2 known issues with these motors, with one of them a safety issue.

1st issue- This upgrade resolves a potential failure of the reverse hooks. If the reverse hooks fail, the gearcase will rotate up as reverse thrust is applied.
    2nd Issue- (Federal boat safety act recall- safety issue)Resolves a potential failure of the throttle function, the shift function, or both. This recall ONLY effects the motors mentioned above THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH A TILLER HANDLE.If the outboard came from Mercury with no tiller handle (to allow for remote operation), the throttle/shift upgrade does not apply to you.

Owners should contact their authorized Mercury Marine dealer for these upgrades. If you have the tiller handle, Mercury Marine recommends that you have the repairs performed PRIOR to your next use of the outboard.

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Boy, it looks like you guys aren't having very good luck with motors this year. Did you get the E-Tech taken care of yet??

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I'm not worried Ncraft. I've had so many new cars in my life, and with each car, had to have things "tweeked".
    As for the 9.9 motor, believe it or not, we have never even used it! It's a 2005, and we have never even started the darn thing.
    Now the Etec has definitely had some bumps along the way. Only time will tell if we made the right decision to stick with it. Supposedly it was a supplier issue, but there were other rumors floating around too. Sometimes you just dont know what or who to believe.
    Our boat went into production last Tuesday, and came out of the mold March 28. Hopefully we will have our new boat within a couple of weeks, and we won't suffer any more unexpected suprises along the way :)

4. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I'm not at all concerned about the E-tech. We talked with Scott at Norton Marine (an excellent technician) and he assured us he would not hestitate to get the E-tech. Norton sells Mercury, Yamaha, and Evinrude. They gain nothing and lose everything if they sell us a motor that turns out to be junk. I've heard the new E-tech run and I can't wait to get this quiet motor on the back of our boat.