close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mercury Levels In Cj

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by lownfast, May 16, 2008.

1. hey......

i fish cj alot and keep very few to eat but i had a friend of mine tell me that they heard that one shouldnt keep any catfish from cj because of high levels of mercury. has anyone heard anything about this?
    when i do keep any cats i always keep the smaller ones anyways.....1-2 llb range.

is this weather wacky or what!!

happy fishing

2. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

never knew that there were really bad mercury problems... and I dont think it has anything about it in the fish consumption advisory, other than your normal recommended amounts per week or month

3. To the best of my knowledge the mercury levels in CJ don't warrant any more caution than any other fishery not on the advisory list (as Flathead said). Further, I don't believe the watershed drains any areas containing any SUPERFUND or SARA sites and as such shouldn't have elevated heavy metal levels (or at least anything more than is considered "normal").
    I would, however, exercise some caution as the area is heavily farmed and, as a consequence of this, the watershed will contain elevated nitrates, phosphates, and potassium levels from fertilizer and pathogens from cattle manure - but that's another topic.

4. In general, regardless of the body of water, predatory fish whose diets consist mostly of other fish will contain higher mercury levels than the panfish. Catfish are among those with higher mercury content. Mercury occurs naturally in all waters throughout the world. It just means that you should eat less of the predatory fish, not that you should avoid them altogether.

Just general FYI. I have no idea if there is something special about CJ with higher mercury levels.

5. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

6. I put this in the common sense post also:

epa.state.oh.us/dsw/fishadvisory is why I rarely eat fish of any size from any body of water in ohio. One of the things that is not listed in that web site is that approximately 25% of all septic systems discharge either directly or indirectly into the rivers, creeks, streams and lakes in Ohio. Things are improving but we have a long way to go.